Tuesday, October 30, 2007

More fun with hot dogs
--Frank-ly Fabulous Spaghetti



Frank-ly Fabulous Spaghetti
Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars Copyright 1979, 1981, 1982

1 lb. frankfurters, cut into 1-inch slices
½ cup chopped onion
¾ cup diced green pepper
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. ground cumin, if desired
1/3 cup sliced stuffed olives
8 oz. Mueller’s Thin Spaghetti
Grated Parmesan cheese

Cook frankfurters, onion and green pepper in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes; stir occasionally. Add olives; heat. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as directed on package; drain. Serve frankfurter sauce over spaghetti; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4-5 servings.
__________________________

I still had one package of hot dogs left from August in my freezer so that was the inspiration for this. I really liked this but it was salty. I'd suggest using no-salt tomato sauce. You can control the fat by using lite hot dogs and you can even use smoked turkey sausage in this. You want something 'smokey'. Some hot dogs can be bland. I used Hebrew National frankfurters which have a lot of flavor.

I would definitely make this again. This only took a few minutes to put together and it was inexpensive too. Although I used Dreamfields pasta which is quite a bit more expensive than regular spaghetti but it's better for you.

Blast From The Past: Hawaiian Franks from last month. I thought I was going to make that recipe again but it was a bit too soon. It's delicious but it has so much sugar.

Question of the Day: Do you mostly use regular pasta, whole wheat pasta, Dreamfields, etc when it comes to pasta?

7 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

I can't seem to find dream fields pasta here. I will eat whole wheat pasta, but Dh and DD don't like the texture. I can't hide it in a casserole either ROFL. So sometimes I boil TWO pots of water and I'll have whole wheat and cook regular for them.

Anonymous said...

I use the regular because noone else likes the whole wheat. That's what I would use if it were up to me so I could save a few carbs.

Jan

Annie said...

I usually use regular Barilla pasta. You can't screw it up, it always comes out perfect. I use whole wheat sometimes when I'm in a healthy mood!

Wanda said...

We use mostly whole wheat. I tried it once, and we found we liked it a lot better than the regular. Dreamfield's.... I've never seen it (although it could be right on the shelf next to the ww, and I'd never notice it) or heard of it except from your blog.

ThursdayNext said...

I prefer dreamfields pasta the most - I like whole wheat depending on the brand...sometimes it just has a "grainy" taste that I dont enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I actually like brown rice pasta the best but don't make it for the family.

My youngest son eats pasta with Parmesan cheese for dinner almost every night and unfortunately it's only the 'regular' type. I don't think the whole wheat pasta tastes good in plain like that.

My ideal is like dancesingarden and boil up two pots but who really wants to do that?

bristol plasterer said...

Really tasty. Top marks! thanks for sharing.

simon