Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good but too expensive
--Red Cabbage With Apples



Red Cabbage With Apples
Betty Crocker’s New International Cookbook Copyright 1989

2 tart red apples, sliced I peeled them
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 medium head red cabbage, coarsely shredded (about 8 cups)
¼ cup water
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Cook and stir apples in margarine in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.

6 servings.
_________________

This was a nice side dish I served with pork. It was very mild - not to sweet, not too sour. It was something different that just a steamed veggie. I don't think it was the ultimate red cabbage recipe but it was a start.

Unfortunately I didn't go to the auction last week and I ended up having to buy two $1.69 bags of red cabbage to make this. That made it an expensive side dish.

Okay, my connection is awful so I'm going to have to make this short. Sorry.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks yummy! I love red cabbage with apples...

Cheers,

Rosa