Thursday, October 04, 2007

Cleaning out the pantry
--Easy Meat Sauce



Easy Meat Sauce
Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars Copyright 1979, 1981, 1982
1 lb. ground beef
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
¼ tsp. oregano
1 28-oz. can tomato puree
1 cup water

In large saucepan, brown ground beef with garlic; stir in Lipton Onion Soup mix, oregano, tomato puree and water. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Serve over hot noodles, spaghetti or rice.

Makes about 5 cups sauce.
____________________________

This week was all about using stuff up. I had a packet of onion soup mix in the cupboard so that's why this recipe caught my eye.

This was fine, nothing special. The flavor wasn't very robust. I added a bit of sugar because it was a bit too acidic for my tastes but that really depends on your tomatoes. I served the sauce over cheese ravioli which worked out better than over plain pasta, in my opinion.

I'm getting down to the dregs of my freezer which makes it more difficult to plan meals. At least that means that a trip to Costco is in my future. I haven't been there since August.

Blast From The Past: Zippy Beef Tips from July 2007. That's where the other packet of soup mix went.

Question of the Day: Do you waste a lot, an average amount, or very little food in your kitchen?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I waste more than I'd like. It's just me and the husband and often the food I cook serves 4. But he normally eats enough for 2. That leaves leftovers. Sometimes I'll take them for lunch the next day but a lot of times they get thrown out after sitting in the fridge for a week or more. I'm trying to improve.

Chef JP said...

Hey, I really enjoyed this post because it points out an aspect of everyday cooking that folks usually forget about. There is always some good stuff around in the cupboard with which to get creative! chefjp

Anonymous said...

I try to make use of what is cooked. Last night I made Chicken Alfredo Fettucini using leftover rotisserie chicken. Tomorrow is spaghetti and meat sauce using leftover meat loaf. Leftover mashed potatoes become potato cakes, etc. (You get the picture.) But, hey, I'm cooking for five.

Jan