Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Not as good as I expected
--Zippy Beef Tips



Zippy Beef Tips
Fix It and Forget-It Cookbook Copyright 2000

2 lbs. stewing meat, cubed
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
10 ¾-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix I didn't use the entire package
1 cup 7-up, or other lemon-lime carbonated drink I used Sierra Mist Free

1. Place meat and mushrooms in slow cooker.
2. Combine mushroom soup, soup mix, and soda. Pour over meat.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 8 hours. I cooked on high for a few hours.
4. Serve over rice. I used whole wheat egg noodles
_____________________________

This recipe is similar (or the same) as what I often see referred to as No Peek Stew over the internet. I've seen many, many people rave about it. While it was certainly edible, I didn't go crazy over this but it was probably my fault. First of all, I didn't brown the meat. The recipe didn't call for it but without browning the meat, the color was a bit odd when it was done.

Then, I hesitated and couldn't add all that sodium-laden soup mix. I added all the dried onions and a bit of the beef base. I think that would have been okay except this recipe called for fresh mushrooms, which released a lot of liquid and diluted the sauce a bit too much. I think canned mushrooms would have actually worked better here. The fresh mushrooms also had an odd dark gray color after being cooked and they started out uber-fresh and white.

Lastly, I used diet soda and I have no idea if fake sweetener holds up to cooking the same as high fructose corn syrup or sugar. That may or may not have made a difference.

So I'm still intrigued enough to try this again someday. I'm kicking myself because I had reservations about the lack of browning and the fresh mushrooms before I made this. Live and learn.

Well it's the 4th of July so no Blast From the Past or Question of the Day today. It's a holiday, although it doesn't feel like one. It feels like a strange one-day weekend since we had our 4th of July celebration this past Saturday.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Happy 4th. I know what you mean about the weird 1 day weekend. I have had added on to it that I took Monday off. I feel very weird. But I will take another day of no work.
This is an interesting recipe, I have never seen a recipe that calls for clear pop.

Anonymous said...

You made me curious about the No Peek Stew...I checked and you are right, most call for canned mushrooms which I wouldn't have expected. Might have to give this a try as we CrockPot at least once a week.
Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting with the addition of Sierra Mist. Hmmmmmm....