Friday, July 27, 2007

I do like radishes!
--Sautéed Radishes


Sautéed Radishes
The Boston Cooking School Cook Book Copyright 1896, 1900, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1912, 1914, 1915, 1918, 1923, 1924, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1936

Peel (I didn't), slice, and cook in boiling, salted water 20 minutes. Drain and sauté in butter. I seasoned the radishes with salt and pepper.
_________________________

I hope this recipe isn't too complicated for you LOL. I've never been a huge fan of radishes which are usually presented raw. I can eat them buried in a forkful of salad and sliced thinly with butter on bread (but what doesn't go well with a hunk of butter?), but on their own I'm not crazy about them. In general, I'm not a big fan of raw vegetables so this isn't surprising.

So when I found myself with a pile of locally grown radishes larger than I could use up in salads, I turned to this recipe. I can now say that I love radishes - as long as they're cooked. They look like red potatoes but they're not as starchy. They sort of reminded me of turnips and I love turnips. Sautéed radishes have a very mild taste and at only 20 calories per cup (without the butter, of course), they can fit into almost anyone's diet.

I picked up this cookbook at the auction (farmer's market) for only $2. This was the cookbook with all the cool vintage ads, not the The New Antoinette Pope School Cookbook. I got confused. Another neat thing is that this cookbook has several four leaf clovers pressed into it. I felt so lucky when I opened it.

This book was written by Fannie Farmer and it's a classic. It was already over 40 years old when this copy was printed in 1939. I believe it's still being printed. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Anyone else remember the Fannie Farmer candy stores? My memory is awful but I seem to remember one in Scranton, PA, right near the Globe department store.

Blast From The Past: Lemon-Blueberry Bundt Cake from July 2006. I froze some blueberries before we left for vacation and I have a couple of lemons on their last legs in the fridge. Maybe this cake is in my future.

Question of the Day: Have you ever eaten cooked radishes?

5 comments:

Wanda said...

No, I haven't! I didn't know there even was such a thing! I hope I remember this method when I have some radishes.

Glad to see you back on your blog. You were greatly missed.

Anonymous said...

Well, Wanda said just about exactly what I was going to say. Except that I'm going grocery shopping today and I'll be getting radishes to cook.
So glad you're back!
Jan

meddlingkidd said...

I've never eaten cooked radishes but I do remember a Fannie Farmer Candy store in the mall we'd go to when I was growing up! Welcome back!

Jen
meddlingkidd

Anonymous said...

No and like Wanda, never heard of such a thing! Interesting. Not a big radish fan so wonder if I would like this (I do like turnips).

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! My kids love raw radishes with dip. I have never thought about cooking them this way. Very cool!