Monday, July 09, 2007

Blueberries were good this week
--Blueberry Buckle


Blueberry Buckle
The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion Copyright 2003

Batter:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
½ cup milk
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional) I didn't use this
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional) I didn't use this
2 cups blueberries (fresh or, if frozen, unthawed) I used fresh

Streusel:
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon zest or 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil I used the zest
½ teaspoon salt
5 1/3 tablespoons soft butter

Grease and flour a 9-inch square of 9-inch round pan and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream together the sugar and butter then add the egg and mix at medium speed for 1 minute. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk alternately with the dry ingredients and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spread the batter into the prepare pan.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon and salt. Add the butter, mixing to make medium-sized crumbs. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter.

Bake the buckle for 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool it. (in the pan) on a rack. Serve the buckle with coffee in the morning or with whipped cream for dessert.

Makes about 16 servings. Per serving: 226 cal, 7 g fat, 3 g protein, 18 g carbs, 19 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 32 mg chol, 204 g sodium
________________________

I really wanted to make a pie but I was too lazy. I have to be in a certain frame of mind to work with pastry dough and I just wasn't in that place. It reached a point where I just had to grab a recipe quickly and make something or I wouldn't get to use the gorgeous blueberries I bought at the auction on Friday. Not that they aren't fine on their own, but where's the fun in that?

This was quite good. The blueberries were nice and sweet and of course, a touch of lemon always goes nice with blueberries. The cake part was moist and the crumb topping was crunchy but not too crunchy. No complaints.

This is my contribution to Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday this week. Blueberries are full of antioxidants.

I'm experiencing cookbook overload. I picked up a few good ones at the auction on Friday, then I trekked through massive road construction to get to the library on Saturday and picked up a huge stack of cookbooks. I can't wait to get through them all.

Blast From The Past: Key Lime Pie from June 2006, also from this cookbook. Good pie.

Question of the Day: What was the best thing you ate over the weekend?

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks very fine! I'll have to test this recipe once...

Wanda said...

That looks so good! I love blueberries.
The best thing I ate over the weekend was some bbq brisket that DS#3 cooked. He is the best bbq-er in the family! He brought us two kinds: regular bbq sauced brisket and some kind of cajun marinaded kind. The cajun variety was not spicy, and the flavor was soooo good. It was my favorite.
One of his favorite things to do is to get together with friends on a beach or in a park somewhere, play bbq chef and give everyone who comes by samples of his bbq. He is very outgoing and makes lots of friends that way. LOL!

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound so pathetic, but it was the hot buttered French bread and a bought lemon/coconut creme cake. It topped anything else I ate because I'm trying to diet and haven't had either in ages. Yeah, to heck with the stew and hamburgers.

Jan

P.S. Wanda, please send DS#3 to our house.

ThursdayNext said...

Some lamb shish kebab! :)

Anonymous said...

We found a new Ramen noodle place in Japantown. I plan on eating everying on the menu

syferium said...

I saw your website and all the blgs are very good, so you have the opportunity to sell space ads on you blogs...


i receive 72$ every month doing nothing, there is just 4 links at my website)))And you're website is much more better then mine.
Payments via PAYPAL and CHECK!!

http://www.text-link-ads.com/?ref=29747

No matter what language your website or blog has. No matter how many visitors a day visit your website, it's only depends on the PR!
PR MUST BE AT LEAST 2!!!!

IF SO YOU CAN EARN MONEY!!! LOT OF MONEY!!

try them...


After you'll sign up here write to me... and i'll tell you how to optimize it for well... and give you several good tips...

Sara said...

The best thing I ate this weekend was a pizza with a whole wheat crust, tomato sauce and gouda cheese.

Anonymous said...

For me, it had to be the pork chops with garlic lime sauce from Gourmet magazine. We had a lot of good food this past weekend, but that probably tops it!

Tamami from Coco&Me said...

Thanks for the great recipe! Sounds really good!