Friday, July 20, 2007

More garlic!
--Garlic-Hoisin Sauce



Garlic-Hoisin Sauce
The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook Copyright 2006

This is from a section on pan sauces for pork. You can used this on pork chops or pork medallions (any kind of pork really). Cook the pork before making this sauce.

6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Add the oil and garlic to the skillet and return to medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, hoisin sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and any accumulated pork juice, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until thickened, about 7 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the pork before serving.
___________________________

Sometimes I mess up a bit when planning menus. I'm not sure how two garlic heavy recipes ended up on the menu next to each other but the flavor of this recipe was different enough from yesterday's Garlicky Chicken Over Pasta that it wasn't a problem.

This sauce was simple and good but it was a bit strong between the garlic, the hoisin and the red wine vinegar. I wouldn't serve it for a romantic dinner.

This was my last meal to cook before we leave on vacation. Well, I bought frozen pizza for tonight, instead of making it from scratch. I do have to put it in the oven but that's about it. Making homemade pizza isn't hard but this saved me some time and some clean up.

I won't be gone long - I should be back to posting on Thursday. I had a dream last night that I had gone to school in Europe for a few weeks and I ended up realizing it was all a dream because I started asking myself what I did about my blog while I was gone.

No Blast From The Past or Question of the Day - just promise me that you won't forget about me while I'm gone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never! We'll miss you.

Jan

Randi said...

Where did you go on Vacation? Btw, I picked up a book at the sale. Its a gourmet slow cooker book. Actually, I forgot to take it out of my car. I was looking at it today and some of the recipies look good.

Rebel In Ontario said...

I could never forget about you, I myself may drop off the face of the earth for weeks at a time but I always end up back here.

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed this sauce. I just love America's Test Kitchen! This one, I found from their Family Cookbook.

Anonymous said...

We liked this recipe too!