Thursday, July 05, 2007

I'll have to try again
--Stuffed Zucchini




Stuffed Zucchini
Helping Our Kids Grow Copyright 2000

2 med. size zucchini
2 c. white bread cubes I used some leftover potato hot dog rolls and a wheat bun
1 c. grated cheddar cheese I used Cabot 50% Light Cheddar
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. garlic powder
½ cup melted butter or margarine I used light butter

Trim ends off zucchini. Split lengthwise and boil until clean (clean? that's what it said - I don't write this stuff), about 10 to 15 minutes (should look transparent). Do not overcook. It should not be mushy. Drain and cool. (Or burn the hell out of your hands trying to scoop them out hot like I did.) Scoop out the seeds to make a boat. Mix the other ingredients together and stuff zucchini with the mixture. Heat oven to 425 degrees. If desired, put spaghetti sauce over stuffed zucchini. Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
____________________________

I think I may have overcooked the zucchini during the first cooking. Or maybe not. Maybe boiling zucchini is just wrong. The zucchini just tastes so blah boiled. The filling was good of course (bread, cheese, butter - what can be wrong with that?) but the flavor didn't manage to seep into the zucchini. Maybe adding tomato sauce would have helped.

I decided to make stuffed zucchini at the last minute so I didn't have a lot of time to shop around for a recipe. I'm going to keep looking for a better one, but I haven't given up on the concept.

I'm so tired. I stayed up way too late last night. This holiday-in-the-middle-of-the-week thing has my body confused.

Blast From The Past: Easy Dill Pickles from just last week. I ate them all and I want more. I hope I can still get my hands on pickling cukes.

Question of the Day: Have you ever stuffed a vegetable? Which ones?

7 comments:

Beth said...

I wonder if it would work to roast or broil the zucchini with butter and salt before filling it. Alternatively, you could salt and drain it then just fill it and bake it.

Anonymous said...

Only vegetable I've ever stuffed were onions. Yum.

Wanda said...

I love stuffed vegetables - both the look, idea and flavor. I have stuffed bell peppers, onions (I think.), pumpkins, tomatoes... and maybe potatoes and zucchini... I forget. YUM!

Anonymous said...

I made stuffed zucchini, I think there was meat in the stuffing, but don't remember much about it. The only other thing I can think of is bell peppers, and I love those. Well, if you could consider cabbage stuffed, even though it's rolled up.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I have a recipe for Stuffed Zucchini
Boats from Light & Tasty magazine (Aug/Sept 2001 issue) (I only know that because I cut it out and it's on the bottom of the recipe!)

This one calls for the zucchini to be steamed whole for about 5 minutes. You have my email...let me know if you'd like the recipe. It's a little different than yours and even though it's been a while since I've made it, I remember it was yummy.

Unknown said...

I've stuffed peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini...I think that's it. I'll have to check the zucchini recipe I used and see how they cooked it beforehand.

Anonymous said...

We liked the Stuffed Tomatoes, Stuffed Tomatoes with Pecorino Romano, Oregano and Olives, and Stuffed Bell Peppers from ATK's Family Cookbook. Also delicious were the Sausage-Apple Stuffed Onions and Mushroom-Spinach Stuffed Onions from Cook's Country. And Stuffed Mushrooms with Goat Cheese and Herb Stuffing from Entertaining 2010. I guess Cabbage Rolls would count too...yum!