Friday, July 06, 2007

Not too bad
--Mary’s Barbecued Chicken


Mary’s Barbecued Chicken
Fix It and Forget It Cookbook Copyright 2000

2 lbs chicken pieces
¼ cup flour
1 cup ketchup
2 cups water
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 drops Tabasco
¼ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp. onion salt

1. Dust chicken with flour. Transfer to slow cooker. I browned it a little bit first but I don't think it mattered.
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 5 hours. I cooked it a few hours on high, then reheated it in the oven the next day
_________________________

I didn't expect this to be great - I really just wanted a crockpot recipe for drumsticks that didn't need any ingredients outside my pantry and this fit the bill. It was a lot of liquid so this ended up as more of a stewed chicken. Reheating it in the oven uncovered helped it's appearance - the chicken developed a bit of a glaze that way. It was pretty good - not spectacular but enjoyable. The sauce wasn't as intense as a bottled barbecue sauce but it was very flavorful and it really permeated the chicken.

So far I'm finding most recipes from this book to be good, not great. But to be fair, it's obvious by looking at this cookbook that every recipe is a crapshoot. It's contains a very broad collection of recipes that obviously have not been pared down at all. It's kind of like allrecipes.com without the rating system - endless variations of recipes that you must weed through and then decide for yourself which one will work for you.

I'm so glad it's Friday! I love auction day, especially now that I've started canning. I can't believe how much cheaper the produce is there - even the non-local stuff is much less expensive than the grocery store prices.

Blast From The Past: Whole Wheat Blueberry Kuchen from August 2006. This was GREAT the first time I made it. The second time it didn't seem to cook right (I couldn't figure out if it was raw or soggy). I'm going to have to try it again.

Question of the Day: What fresh produce is best in your area right now?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Blueberries, tomatoes, and squash! I LOVE this time of year.

ThursdayNext said...

Lots of blueberries! I made a citrus blueberry cake for 4th of July!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Nothing! It all comes on a truck from hundreds of kilometres away. I really miss living in suburbia with my vegie garden and fruit tress as well as access to grower's markets.

Anonymous said...

Since I've been getting everything at the supermarket (still haven't gotten to a Farmers Market), it's hit and miss with most things. One thing that has been really good, though, is corn on the cob.

Jan