Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Right up our alley
--Smoked Sausage Skillet


Smoked Sausage Skillet
Taste of Home The Market Fresh Cookbook Copyright 2006

1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced into ¼-inch pieces I used smoked turkey sausage
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
2 cups cooked pasta I used whole wheat egg noodles - more than 2 cups

In a large skillet, sauté the sausage, cabbage and celery in oil for 5 minutes. Add the mustard, garlic salt and sage. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in noodles; cook until heated through.

Yield: 4 servings.
_______________________

My husband and I both have ancestors from Eastern Europe so we're no stranger to kielbasa. We're also big fans of haluski (cabbage and noodles) so this recipe caught my eye. I used smoked turkey sausage instead of the lite kielbasa because the turkey sausage has less fat.

I wasn't disappointed although I wish I had used more cabbage. The noodles tasted a bit stale to me, which irritated me. That's the second time these noodles have tasted stale and I can't figure it out. They seem to sell well - the bags haven't been sitting on the store shelf for a long time or anything. They haven't expired. Luckily the cabbage and sausage mixture was good enough to make up for what the noodles lacked. This is definitely something I would make again. It was fast, delicious, pretty healthy actually and economical too. I bought the sausage for $1.99 on a manager's special. There's literally about 20 cents worth of cabbage in there, a few cents worth of celery and probably about $1 worth of noodles, if that.

This is my contribution to Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesdays. Cabbage is very good for you.

I have to do the June cookbook giveaway drawing. I still don't have a book for July. Stay tuned. I'll try to get it up by Monday at the latest.

I got the neatest thank you from last month's winner but I want to get a picture before I tell you about it. It's so cool!

Blast From The Past: Barbecued Sausage Pieces from May 2007. I have to admit I've made that a couple of times already. It's basic but we all like it and sometimes I just need to make something that simple.

Question of the Day: Have you ever eaten haluski?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've eaten some dish in the past that was cabbage and noodles. I like both ingredients - add sausage and it's even better. I wasn't sure if there was anything different in haluski, so I googled it. Most of the recipes involved making the "noodley" part, be it noodles or dumplings. They all sounded good.

Jan

Wanda said...

This looks soooo good! I love cabbage dishes! I've never had - or even heard of - haluski, though, although I have heard 'cabbage and noodle' dishes discussed in one of my internet groups.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks very fine! It's funny, those kielbasas look a lot like our Swiss "saucisson" which is smoked...

Anonymous said...

Have never heard of haluski, but this dish sounds really good. I have some kielbasa in the fridge already, just need the cabbage.