Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sneaking in some veggies
--Kielbasa Skillet With Rotini


Kielbasa Skillet With Rotini
Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes Copyright 2002

2 cups dried rotini or rotelle pasta (about 6 ounces) I used 12 ounces of whole wheat rotini
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound cooked kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced diagonally I used smoked turkey sausage
1 small zucchini, cut into matchstick-size strips
1 yellow or orange sweet pepper, cut into small strips I used orange and yellow
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper I misread this and used black pepper
8 roma tomatoes, cored and chopped (about 1 pound) I used too regular tomatoes
Fresh herbs (optional)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a very large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add kielbasa; cook until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
2. Add zucchini, sweet pepper, Italian seasoning, and ground red pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cooked pasta. Heat through, stirring occasionally. If desired, garnish with fresh herbs.

Makes 6 servings: Per serving: 410 cal, 26 g fat, 0 mg chol, 714 mg sodium, 31 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein
_______________________

The best chance I have of getting my husband to eat vegetables is to sneak them into the main dish. Otherwise, he often just ignores vegetable side dishes. This recipe had plenty of veggies making it perfect for Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday.

I was pretty loosey-goosey with this recipe. I cooked down the vegetables for a while, really breaking up the tomatoes since my husband doesn't like fresh tomato very much. I went heavy on the vegetables and had plenty of 'sauce' to coat an entire box of pasta, twice as much as the the recipe called for. I almost always add more pasta.

I'm just treading water right now, getting ready for our cookout which happens to coincide with a huge heat wave. As long as it doesn't rain, I'm happy.

Today's the last day to enter the July cookbook giveaway. The winner may get to cook from that book before I do! I do have one recipe from the book on deck for later this week. I just couldn't get to it before the end of the month.

Blast From The Past: Brownies from last year's cookout. I didn't think these were all that great when I made them yet they disappeared in a flash.

Question of the Day: How often do you entertain?

3 comments:

Annie said...

I like dishes like that where everything is in the mix. It's easy and healthy.

I don't entertain too often, maybe 3x a year. Although I do have family members over often (weekly).

Anonymous said...

Like......never. Only family functions.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Doesn't this look good? Wow!