Friday, November 17, 2006

Good, but not good enough



Toffee-Oat Bars
Cookies 1,001 Mouthwatering Recipes From Around the World Copyright 2004

¾ cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
¾ cup old-fashioned oats

Chocolate Frosting
6 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons butter, cut up

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 11x7-inch baking pan. Sift the flour and salt into a medium bowl. Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until creamy. Add the egg yolks, beating until just blended. I added a dash of vanilla too. Mix in the dry ingredients and oats. Firmly press the mixture into the prepared pan to form a smooth, even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool completely in the pan. Chocolate Frosting: Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Spread the chocolate mixture over and let stand for 30 minutes until set. Cut into bars.
_________________________

It's been awfully quiet around here. I hope that blog readers are just busy and not bored. I have to admit that cooking has not been my primary activity lately. There's just too much going on this time of year.

This was a test run of a candidate for this year's cookie trays. At first, I thought these bars were too greasy and not firm enough but I enjoyed them after refrigerating them. They won't be on my Christmas cookie trays but they didn't go to waste. I think I've eaten 3/4 of the pan by myself in just 5 days.

I bought this book after enjoying the cake version (Cakes: 1,001 Classic Recipes from Around the World) so much. It's much the same but not quite as exciting and mouth-watering as the cake version.

A Blast From The Past: Snickerdoodles from last Christmas. These are definitely going on my cookie trays again.

Question of the Day: Is anybody reading this?

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am....I come by everyday, I just dont' always comment.

Anonymous said...

me same as jennifer.

Anonymous said...

I'm here everyday. These bars look good in the picture, but I can imagine them being greasy with a cup of butter and not that much dry ingredients. I love snickerdoodles but don't save them for the holidays!

DancesInGarden said...

Okay, those bars don't look good at all ROFLMAO. And for some reason when you mentioned chilling them my stomach did a flip-flop. Not to be rude, but you know I am not a fan of sweeties. Do you still love me? ;)

Anonymous said...

I made a similar bar recently and it was also disappointing. I'm still on a hunt for a good one!

Anonymous said...

Never bored! I never fail to check in every day - just too many personal things taking up my time and thoughts. Love your blog.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Me!

Anonymous said...

They look good even if they weren't the best. I'm back from a little break... I always read your blog.

Heather said...

of course

Tracy said...

Yup!

Anonymous said...

Of course I'm here, just really busy. I still read almost everyday and would be very disappointed if you were not here to "read". These do look good but who has time to bake?

Wanda said...

Yep! I'm reading too. I sometimes fail to come in on a daily basis, but I do come at least every 4-5 days and catch up. Sometimes I am too busy to comment though, or just have nothing to add.

Jan and I even mention it to each other often.

I love your blog, and it is saved to my favorites.

Jennifer said...

I normally come by every day, and have tried and loved several of your recipes! I was swamped with work last week and didn't get to read any of my blogs since last Monday, but I'm here now! :D

Anonymous said...

i have you bookmarked and stop by about once a week. :)

frankie

Anonymous said...

don't feel bad! I'm new and I visited your site! Nice of you to take time out of a busy schedule to share with everyone!