Monday, November 06, 2006

Oh yes I did



Chocolate Buttermilk Pie
The Ugly Binder from Food TV (Sandra Lee)

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 pre-made store-bought (9-inch) deep dish pie crust
Pre-made whipped cream, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Position a rack in the center of the oven.

Place the chocolate chips in a double boiler and melt over low heat, stirring constantly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt until well combined. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the sugar mixture and mix with an electric hand mixer or whisk vigorously. With a rubber spatula, stir the melted chocolate into the batter.

Pour batter into the piecrust; you will have about 1 cup of left-over batter. I put my crust in a 10-inch pie plate and didn't have any leftover filling. Place pie in oven on middle rack. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until the pie is crisp on top and a knife inserted in the center comes out with just a bit of moist chocolate on it. Mine was done in about 1 hour.

Remove from oven and cool completely. Let stand at least 1 hour before serving. If not eating immediately, refrigerate pie. This pie can be served warm or chilled. Garnish with store-bought whipped cream just before serving.
______________________________

Yes, I made a Sandra Lee recipe. I'm not ashamed to admit that I made a Sandra Lee recipe. Seriously, I haven't seen her make too many recipes that I felt the need to try myself but I do watch her show. She may not be a from-scratch cook but she's certainly enthusiastic about what she does. I know many people poke fun at her but I'm sure she's too busy counting her money to care.

I don't own any of her cookbooks but after I saw her make this pie I printed the recipe off of the Food TV site and stuck it in my ugly binder. I had a pie crust and some buttermilk so I decided I would take this for a test run, to see if it was worthy of making the Thanksgiving line up.

This was a good pie (heck, I ate about half the pie over the course of the weekend) but I think it may be too intense for my Thanksgiving crowd. It's a great pie for chocolate lovers but I think I'll look for something else in the chocolate category for Thanksgiving.

My dishwasher is fixed! Thankfully, the repairman is a genius. Even he was shocked by what he had to do (basically tear the entire thing apart and fix the motor) but it's fixed. He was there for a while so I'm not looking forward to the bill but it was either that or replace a 2-3 year old dishwasher.

A Blast From the Past: Key Lime Pie from June 2006. I'm considering this one for Thanksgiving although I would probably use bottled key lime juice instead of fresh, for convenience.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite pie?

9 comments:

Heather said...

I am really starting to like many different pies, but my favorite is Tollhouse Chocolate Chip pie.

DancesInGarden said...

If I had to pick (and we all know how I feel about pie LOL) it would be pecan. That way I can pick out and eat the yummy pecans, and leave the rest on the plate ;).

Unknown said...

I like fruit pies. Strawberry is my favorite but blueberry is a VERY close second. I can usually do without chocolate, although my grandmother has a really good chocolate pie recipe that is creamy and topped with a meringue

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, I think it would be a tie between pumpkin and apple. Chocolate and pecan are my least favorites. That key lime pie sounds really good too.

No pie, bad for diet, no pie........!

Anonymous said...

Haha... I love it how you talked about Sandra Lee; I have the same feelings about her.

Looks soo yum. My favorite is my family recipe's apple crumb pie.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could possibly choose a favorite - I don't think I've ever met a pie I didn't love.

I think Sandra Lee's recipes are okay, but I don't like to watch her show because, to me, she is irritating when talking.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we dont get SL in Canada. I can't stand her. I love peach or cherry or blueberry pie. My coconut cream pie is so good too.

Annie said...

That looks good to me, even for a sandra lee recipe.

My favorite is probably peacan pie or blueberry!

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog and love it - had to respond to the Sandra Lee comment. My friends and I always say that watching her show it like watching a car accident - you don't want to look but you do. I must have missed this pie recipe but I love chocolate.