Sunday, November 26, 2006

Outed



French Silk Chocolate Pie
Easy Pies With Pillsbury Pie Crust Copyright 2004

1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces
1 cup butter, softened (do not use margarine)
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
4 pasteurized eggs or 1 cup fat-free egg product I used the egg product
½ cup sweetened whipping cream

Chocolate curls, if desired

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Make pie crust as directed on box for one-crust baked shell using 9-inch glass pie pan. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
2. In 1-quart saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat; cool. In small bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in cooled chocolate and vanilla.
3. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating on high speed 2 minutes after each addition; beat until mixture is smooth and fluffy. Pour into cooled baked pie shell. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Serve topped with whipped cream and chocolate curls. Store in refrigerator.
_________________________

While I was eating this I kept thinking it reminded me of something but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. It wasn't until I was copying the recipe that I figured out that it tasted like chocolate frosting. I only tasted it after eating a full Thanksgiving meal so it's hard for me to judge this fairly. Something so rich would stand better on it's own, not on a table full of other pies after a heavy meal.

So my sister found my blog. What the big deal, right? This isn't dooce.com after all, it's just a bunch of recipes. I would have shared it with my family except they have a history of mocking my hobbies. I know a lot of my readers are also food bloggers and you're probably scratching your head and wondering what's so embarassing about a food blog - there are probably thousands of them all over the world afterall. Well, I didn't think polymer clay was a ridiculous hobby either but I believe the phrase 'you really need to get a life' came up when I dabbled in that.

It wasn't as if I heard 'I found your blog, it's great' or anything like that. It was more of a whisper and then as soon as I left the get-together and then walked right back in for something I forgot, they were already talking about it. My other sister had that scrunched up face that signals she about to say something I don't want to hear (such as, 'you really need to get a life') so I just high-tailed it out of there.

I hope they got a good laugh and moved on. For the first time in almost 15 months, I'm not excited about blogging. I feel a little self-conscious right now. Every sentence I type suddenly looks silly. But I don't want to be one of those bloggers that disappears into thin air so I'll keep going.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg, that is outrageous. Your blog is great and you have so many readers that love it. I think your sisters are just jealous and they need to get the life. I've told my family about mine numerous times but I dont think any of them have even bothered to read it. What's wrong with having a hobby ( passion)? I'm kinda outraged by this.

DancesInGarden said...

You know what? Let them snicker if they want. Do you think my family embraces ANY of my writing or hobbies (even the stuff that is not about them? LOL). No. Real people do not write. Unless they write for money. And writers have no other jobs and are insanely rich, there is no other kind.

(((Hugs))). Let them keep reading. And they will see, you DO have a life. And that life includes blogging about your recipes, and we hang on every word.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that your family is not supportive of your hobby. That's so unfair - and even more unfair is that they have made you feel bad. That's just not right. I read your blog regularly (never comment!) and have used a number of recipes from your sight. So just remember that there are countless readers out there like me that appreciate your blogging and forget about your family's unhelpful comments!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Shame on them! Here's a hug for you. Blog onward!

Jan

Anonymous said...

People (especially FAMILY) often mock what they're too embarassed to do themselves. Sometimes, which is even worse, they are jealous.

Your blog is great! Keep up the good work, and don't be embarassed by what you cook, photograph or write. Your family will get over themselves.

Anonymous said...

Don't let them make you feel silly! I feel silly taking pictures but my family thinks it's great that I have the blog. it's a different outlet. Keep having fun and let them have their interests, you yours!

Anonymous said...

Mocking another's hobby is an expression of laziness; the mocker can't be bothered to make an effort to appreciate another's creativity. I don't know if your family members have any hobbies, but if they don't, then they need to get a life. I have THREE blogs: one general (part journal, part commonplace book, part art gallery for my work); one for my knitting/domestic arts; and one for poetry I write. Don't allow other people's small-mindedness inhibit you, please!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog. I'm not such a great cook and I really appreciate your comments about recipes and how you let us know if it's a winner or not. Do NOT let your family make you feel wrong about this. It takes a LOT of work and dedication to not only cook so much but to write it (and I KNOW how hard it is to take pictures of food and make it look good!) You do a fabulous job. I agree with the others, they're jealous. Let them mock what they don't understand. We all know the truth! Blog On!

Sara said...

Don't let them bother you! The only thing that matters is that this makes you happy and you enjoy it. Do not let anyone take that from you.

Anonymous said...

Don't let them keep you from blogging. We all love reading your blog and we all share that same love for food.

Keep on truckin!

ThursdayNext said...

I am sorry to hear that your sisters would react in such a way. My goodness, this blog is the BEST.

Sisters, if you are reading this, be kind. We love your amazing sister and she is an original. Celebrate her amazingness and be supportive! Go make this pie and enjoy all of her posts; they are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

That sucks, Paula. I can't say what I really want to say because it would be a bit rude but I think it's rotten that you feel that way. I love your blog. Your style of writing is terrific, your photos are great and I love how you explain stuff. You know that you are the person who inspired me to start blogging. Please don't feel bad, look them in the eye and tell them that you love blogging and that lots of other people love you blogging too! ((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

You may not feel you have the support of your family, but you certainly have the support of your readers! If blogging brings some measure of joy or happiness into your life, then don't let your siblings' negativity take that away. I, for one, hope you continue to share your cooking adventures with us!

RoSco said...

I have family members like that, too, so trust me ... it is really helpful to have a group of supportive and caring people around who share your interersts!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I know it's kind of silly and I tend to be thin-skinned when it comes to teasing. As the baby of the family, I should be used to it by now but instead of the teasing toughening me up, it's just made me more self-conscious. I'm just going to get over it. You can't change other people, you can only change how you react to them, right?

Anonymous said...

Oh please don't stop blogging!
I come here several times a week.
I love your blog!!

Tracy said...

Just thought I'd commiserate with the family comments. On Thanksgiving my uncle said, "I heard about your blooooggg," as if it were some kind of a disease, half laughing and half rolling his eyes. I felt rather foolish, so I know why you felt demoralized.

Hang in there and keep your head up. Your blog is excellent.

Anonymous said...

Hope you keep on blogging - I love your insights on the recipes! Like randi, the first thing that popped into my mind was that there was some jealousy involved. But who knows...

MommyProf said...

Outing stinks. You have my sympathies.

Anonymous said...

Hey... never mind what your family thinks! When you have so many readers who visit your blog (and I'm a regular), you can be sure you're doing things right! Keep going, girl! :)