Wednesday, June 03, 2009

On a roll with thighs



Oven-Fried Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs
Southern Living Annual Recipes 2006 Copyright 2006
also on myrecipe.com

8 bacon slices
8 skinned and boned chicken thighs
1 cup cornmeal*
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper

Arrange bacon slices on paper towels on a microwave-safe plate in microwave oven. Top with paper towel. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute or just until bacon is limp and heated through. (Do not fully cook bacon.)

Wrap each chicken thigh with a piece of bacon; secure with a wooden pick, if desired.

Combine cornmeal and next 3 ingredients in a bowl. Dredge chicken in cornmeal mixture. Arrange on a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a lightly greased broiler or roasting pan.

Bake at 350ยบ for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done.

*Cornmeal mix may be substituted for cornmeal.
__________________________

Since I stocked up on boneless, skinless chicken thighs at Costco I've been finding chicken thigh recipes left and right. This was a simple but flavorful recipe. I really liked the cornmeal coating.

So, I have another bake sale coming up. What to make? Last time I made (boxed) red velvet cupcakes with canned frosting and Pineapple Gooey Butter Cakes. Both sold well but I'd like to do something different this time. I have great brownie recipes but it seems as if everyone always wants to sign up for brownies. As usual, I'm taking suggestions. So far I am thinking maybe squares of Chocolate Fudge Cake. Cupcakes are cute but I find slices of cake to be so much yummier.

I almost forgot - are any of my readers from Pennsylvania? I started a new blog based on another hobby of mine - family fun accessible from my area of PA. It's called The Central PA Family Fun Report and I'm looking for ideas and readers. If you have any ideas of places we can visit, let me know. If you know of anyone who is looking for family activity information in PA, please pass the link along.

Question of the Day: Is cornmeal a staple in your house?

11 comments:

LaLa Brat said...

Hi Paula,
Looks good and simple.
1 question: is it chicken thighs WITH skin and bone or no skin and no bones. Let me know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's a staple for me. I keep so many things as staples, my pantry is a disaster.

I like to make banana bread for sales, mainly because I always have frozen overripe ones. People seem to think it's sorta special. I can't imagine why. Maybe they just don't like making it - mashing bananas maybe is an undesirable task??? My family loves it and are always asking for it.

Jan

The Cookbook Junkie said...

LaLaBrat,

We discussed this about a week ago and the general opinion is that boned means boneless (and so it follows, skinned means skinless). I don't care for those terms (too confusing) so next time I will just write boneless and skinless!

I do think you could make this recipe with bone-in and even skin-on chicken pieces. The cooking time is long enough to cook thighs and drumsticks.

Donna-FFW said...

Yummy.. anything with bacon a winner here. Paired with chicken, delicious. Cornmeal.. always have it in my cabinet..

Randi said...

Can you do bananas? The frosted banana bar recipe @ all recipes is great!!

Unknown said...

Hmmm...when we had a bake sale brownies and rice krispie treats were the big sellers. As far as corn meal being a STAPLE...if that means I'm sure to always have it, then yes. If it means I use it a lot...not really.

susan thomson said...

my kids love this recipe. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! (Even my father who does not care for chicken enjoyed this!) Although next time I would eliminate the salt, since bacon is naturally very salty. Otherwise great!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any kind of cornmeal right now. Is there any substitution? Is flour fine?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I'm sure the cornmeal added a little something extra but I'm sure flour would be fine - just don't skip the bacon lol

Unknown said...

If you have not tried the Pumpkin Cream Cheese muffins....they would be awesome for a bake sale.