Friday, June 01, 2007

Comfort food
--Salisbury Steak Deluxe



Salisbury Steak Deluxe
Taste of Home The Complete Guide To Country Cooking Copyright 1998

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted I used the 'Healthy Request' version
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley I sprinkled a bit of dried parsley flakes on top

In a bowl, combine the soup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish; blend well. Set aside. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of the soup mixture. Add beef and mix well. Shape into six patties.

In a large skillet, brown the patties in oil; drain. Combine remaining soup mixture with water; pour over patties. Cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until meat is done. Remove patties to a serving platter; spoon sauce over meat. Sprinkle with parsley.
________________________

My last attempt at Salisbury Steak was okay but nothing that had me rushing out to make it again. I'm glad I finally made a second attempt because I really liked this version. It isn't exactly what you might expect - I'd say the sauce is more like a stroganoff sauce than the typical brown gravy you usually see with Salisbury steak. It was really flavorful and the patties were nice and tender. The one problem I had is that the patties were a bit delicate. I managed to keep them together but I did need to use kid gloves when manipulating them in the pan.

My son loved this. He was more interested in the meat than the noodles which is unusual for him. He didn't even ask for ketchup!

I didn't buy any produce last night and now they're calling for storms this afternoon so I may not get to the auction tonight. Maybe I'll finally get over to the indoor farmer's market in the next town. Unfortunately, the book man won't be there.

Blast From The Past: JalapeƱo Chicken from November 2005. I just read that post again and saw that I fed my son beans. I've had a fear of making anything with beans for dinner because of his peanut allergy (peanuts and beans are both legumes) even though I knew there was a good chance that he wasn't allergic to beans. I couldn't remember if I had ever fed him beans but now I know that he has eaten them.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite 'comfort food'?

5 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

It changes depending on the time of year, and the reason I need it (lol). This morning I ate scrambled eggs mixed with VELVEETA cheese of all things. On toast. DH gave me the raised eyebrow. I said "I am going to eat the velveeta, and you are going to mind your business". At least I am not eating it straight from the box!

karen said...

The salisbury steak looks delicious! Actually, I just discovered del.icio.us and have tagged it to try soon. My favorite comfort food is macaroni and cheese, and nothing fancy, just Kraft from the blue box!

Unknown said...

Something with eggs! That's my comfort food. it could be omelette or scrambled eggs, frittata or quiche! I just love eggs and they're SO easy.

Anonymous said...

That's really hard to decide. Maybe meatloaf or pinto beans and cornbread.

Jan

Sam Stoner said...

Salisbury Steak is made with gravy NOT cream of mushroom soup!

There are so many crappy recipes on the internet that cream of mushroom soup! it's to bad... I guess if you don't know to cook theres always cream of mushroom soup!