Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I need to have more faith
--Pork with Glazed Onions


Pork with Glazed Onions
Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter’s Cookbook Copyright 2003

1 12-ounce pork tenderloin
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings I used one large sweet onion
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar I used balsamic
2 teaspoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Hot cooked orzo (optional)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

1. Trim fat from pork. Cut pork crosswise into ½-inch slices. Lightly coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the pork to the hot skillet; cook about 4 minutes or until pork is cooked through, turning once. Remove pork from skillet. Repeat with remaining pork.
2. Carefully add oil to skillet; add the onions. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 13 to 15 minutes or until onions are tender. Uncover; stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are golden.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the water, vinegar cornstarch, salt and pepper; carefully stir into onion mixture in skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Return pork to skillet; heat through.
4. If desired, serve the pork and onion mixture over hot cooked orzo. Sprinkle with parsley.

Makes 4 servings: Per serving (without orzo): 185 cal, 5 g total fat, 50 mg chol, 186 mg sodium, 12 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 21 g pro
________________________

I thought this was going to be a dud right up until the end. I thought the flavor was going to be too harsh but after adding the pork and juices back to the pan and finishing off the cooking, everything mellowed out. I thought this was great over lightly buttered orzo. It's key to use a good vinegar here, not an expensive one, but one that isn't too harsh. I know, I always say that when I make something with vinegar but I remember how many times I made something using a harsh balsamic vinegar and didn't like it and I didn't realize it was the vinegar.

I need to start planning my summer cookout today. I keep saying telling myself that I need to do that but I haven't yet. I hate picking the date because then that means I have to start worrying if it's going to rain on that date.

Blast From The Past: Tiramisù from last year's cookout in August. That's been a staple recipe at my cookouts but last time I ate tiramisu in a restaurant was the day I had that allergic reaction. I'm not sure how I feel about eating it again even though I don't really think I would have a reaction to my own recipe.

Question of the Day: Do you have any ideas for warm weather family activities?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I'll be much help on your question but wanted you to know I made the chicken from yesterday's entry. I used bone-in thighs because that's all I had and everyone really, really liked it. Thanks. It'll go in my recipe pile...er, I mean file.
P.S. I like the new pictures on your heading. Looks really nice.

Jan

ThursdayNext said...

I think you probably improved this recipe by using sweet onions! Pick the date for your cookout: even if it rains, it will be cozy and fun and festive despite the weather. :)

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I'm glad you liked it Jan. The recipe was supposed to be for bone-in chicken so I'm sure the thighs worked well. It isn't a fancy recipe but I thought it perked up plain chicken just fine, without adding a lot of calories.

Jennifer said...

I made this tonight. My 12-year-old said "A++ Would dine again." I think we've got a hit! :)