Friday, June 15, 2007

One hit, one miss
--Grilled Flank Steak with Pickapeppa Mayonnaise



Grilled Flank Steak with Pickapeppa Mayonnaise
The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking & Entertaining Copyright 2006

Two 1 ¼-pound flank steaks
2 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce

Fire up the grill for a two-level fire capable of cooking first on high heat and then on medium heat.

Grill the steaks uncovered over high heat for 2 ½ to 3 minutes per side. Move the steak to medium heat, turning it again, and continue grilling for 2 ½ to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. The steaks should be turned at least 3 times, more often is juice begins to form on the surface.

Let the steaks sit loosely with foil for about 5 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain and serve with Pickapeppa Mayonnaise.

Pickapeppa Mayonnaise

Mix ¾ cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons or more of Pickapeppa sauce.
_________________________

Well this was a part disappoinment, part wonderful discovery. First of all, I really prefer flank steak marinated. I was leery of trying this recipe with such expensive meat but I feel that I need to take chances sometime and I had just picked up a new bottle of Pickapeppa sauce. It may have been much better but a storm blew threw and I ended up having to broil the steak which just isn't the same. It's much harder to judge how a steak is cooking when it's under the broiler. You can just stand there and poke it without removing it from the heat source like you can when you grill it.

As disappointing as the steak was (and really, it was still good steak, just a bit plain), the Pickapeppa Mayonnaise was quite delicious. Very nice, simple combo that would make a nice dipping sauce for chips, chicken strips, fried zucchini, etc. I could have eaten it with a spoon but that's pretty much true of plain mayonnaise with me.

My grocery store is trying to drive me insane. They switched their sale period from Sunday-Saturday to Thursday-Wednesday. The past two weeks I couldn't figure out why the prices in my circular at home didn't match what I was seeing in the store. I'll have to pay more attention to the dates.

Blast From The Past: Creamy Italian Pasta Salad from April 2006. I'm thinking about making a pasta salad on Sunday. I can't decide. I have no idea what I'm making for our Father's Day cookout yet.

Question of the Day: Would you prefer strawberry shortcake or strawberries over homemade pound cake?

5 comments:

Brilynn said...

i find shortcake can often be too dry, so i'm gonna go with the strawberries and pound cake

By the grace of God ... said...

Definitely -- pound cake!

Unknown said...

I prefer the shortcake...we have a WONDERFUL recipe that is so easy (like 20 minutes TOTAL). I like the crispy part of pound cake but don't really care much for the rest.

Anonymous said...

My vote is for the strawberries and pound cake. :-)

Also, thanks so much for the cookbook I won in your contest for last month. It showed up today!

Anonymous said...

I love strawberries and pound cake best. I like my strawberries to be really, really juicy though so that it soaks into the cake!