Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Simple but delicious
--Lemon Rice


Lemon Rice
How To Cook Everything Copyright 1998

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (preferred) or extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 4 cups cooked rice, made by any method
Salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Juice of 2 lemons, plus more if needed
1 lemon, quartered

1. Heat half the butter or oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet; when butter foams or oil is hot, spoon in the cooked rice, tossing and stirring.
2. Season with salt to taste, lots of pepper, the garlic and most of the lemon juice. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until hot. Stir in the remaining butter or oil and cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove the rice from the pan to a platter, add the remaining lemon juice and serve, with lemon quarters.

Makes 4 servings.
_________________________

I'll have to be honest - I was really loosey-goosey with this recipe. I used a bit of canola oil and a bit of butter, and only one lemon (but it was a monster). I've been looking for simple ways to perk up plain rice and I know that I'll be making this again.

I bought a big bag of lemons at Costco so that's one down, a lot to go!

I'm going to do a Father's Day cookout. I have no idea what to make. There are just too many things to choose from. I want to keep it simple and somewhat light. I love having an extra occasion to cook for.

Blast From The Past: Chicken Piccata from March 2006. I'm definitely going to make some Chicken Piccata with my surplus of lemons.

Question of the Day: Do you have any Father's Day plans?

4 comments:

Wanda said...

No, not at this time. My DH is working away from home and is not sure if he will be able to come home this weekend or not.

Anonymous said...

My husband loves appetizers. So I'm doing a dinner of various dips, mini-sandwiches, cheese, etc.

Anonymous said...

Not yet, anyway. Maybe we could have him barbecue for us. But, hey, that's not the idea, is it? Well, at least I would make the sides.

Jan

Unknown said...

Sadly neither I nor my brother will be home on Father's day. I was there last week and we had daddy's favorite (lasagna), so I count that as his special day. I'll call him for sure. My plans are to go to rounds at the hospital (if I have to), go to church, read my assignment, and take a NAP!