Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Good, but I'm still looking for something better
--Simple Butter Dinner Rolls


Simple Butter Dinner Rolls
Easy Bread Machine Recipes Copyright 1997

2 ¼ C all-purpose flour
½ C milk
3/8 C water
1 T sugar
½ tsp salt
3 T butter, plus melted butter for brushing on top
1 ½ tsp yeast

1. Load the bread pan with all the ingredients except the extra butter; select the dough setting.
2. When the beeper sounds, remove the dough to a bowl. Cover. Rest the dough in the refrigerator until needed, or overnight.
3. Shape into rolls (cloverleaf, split top, knots, etc). I just lined them up in a 9-inch baking pan.
4. Sprinkle water on top and let the rolls rise at 90 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
5. Brush the top of the rolls with the extra butter; bake at 360 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Serve hot or cold.
____________________________

This was the third dinner roll recipe I've tried. I don't think I blogged the other two since they were for Thanksgiving dinner and I was busy blogging about pies around that time. This was probably the best recipe so far. I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for in a dinner roll but I think this recipe would be good made larger and used for burgers or steak sandwiches. These had a little more body than the other sandwich rolls I've made a few times. I think the ultimate dinner roll I'm looking is a bit sweeter, and probably has egg in the recipe.

I tried another nitrite-free hot dog, Nature's Promise. That's a store brand from Giant Foods, well, the store brand for their organic, natural foods. They were really, really good. The other ones I tried, Applegate Farms, were bit different tasting but these tasted just like a good regular hot dog. Unfortunately I think they had a lot of fat too but I forgot to check the package. I'm seeing several brands of nitrite-free hot dogs in the store now. They're all pretty expensive but I was able to get these marked down to $2.99. I think they're regularly marked around $5.

Blast From The Past: Broccoli Salad from September 2005. I've been craving this but I like the full-fat version and I'd end up eating it all.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite brand of hot dogs?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathan's Hot Dogs are wonderful.

Tracy said...

I like the Hebrew National Reduced Fat (Not Fat-Free) ones the best. They're lower in calories, but I think they still have flavor and aren't as greasy as the full fat kinds.

Anonymous said...

Another Nathans fan here.

Anonymous said...

Not that you asked, but here are two of my favorite bread machine roll recipes.
The first one is my standard go to that people always request:
http://www.recipezaar.com/71373

This second one is a new favorite, but so delicious!
http://www.recipezaar.com/78883

Anonymous said...

I love hot dogs, so I like most of the decent ones. But Hebrew National is THE best, when I want to spring for them.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I like the Nature's Promise hot dogs too. They taste just like hot dogs but without all the chemicals.

I also like this dinner roll recipe - http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/reviews.php?rid=97023

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Ooohhh. These rolls look great. I'm going to give them a try next week. I'll let you know how I go.