Friday, June 08, 2007

Not great
--Orange Chocolate Float



Orange Chocolate Float
Hershey’s 1934 Cookbook Copyright 1992

½ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons Hershey’s syrup
1 tablespoon sugar
Crushed ice
Whipped cream
Orange slice (optional)

In blender container, combine orange juice, syrup and sugar; cover and blend. Pour over ice in glass; top with whipped cream. Garnish with orange slice, if desired. Serve immediately.

Makes 1 serving.
_______________________

I've found myself with a surplus of Hershey's syrup and while looking for recipes to use it up, I noticed this one. It didn't make much of a dent in my supply but I had all of the ingredients so I figured I'd try it. I don't consider myself a fan of chocolate mixed with fruit yet when I have the combination I'm often surprised that I really do like it.

Well, this time I found myself surprised that I really didn't like it. I mean, it was okay but I generally don't drink beverages with calories unless they're really worth it (taste-wise or health-wise). The most caloric drink I imbibe regularly is coffee with milk and I've cut myself down to 1/2 - 1 cup per day. Otherwise, I drink water, seltzer water, unsweetened iced tea, unsweetened hot tea and an occasional artifically-sweetened beverage.

It didn't help that I was sharing this with my son and he was hogging all of the whipped cream. He seemed to like it. I think if this had been a creamy drink with ice cream or milk, I would have liked it better. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have blended it with the ice and made it into more of a smoothie. Could I have added milk or would it have curdled from the orange juice?

It's supposed to be 96 degrees today. I want to pick up produce at the auction tonight but I'm not sure now. I found it unbearable to walk around there the past two Fridays and it wasn't nearly as hot. Inside the actual building was like an oven last week. I can't imagine how the people standing by the pizza ovens and cooking over the stoves in there manage not to pass out.

Blast From The Past: Blueberry & Buttermilk Falls Drink from January 2007. Now that was worth the calories.

Question of the Day: What beverages do you drink on a regular basis?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coffee, a lot of water, iced tea in a restaurant, and an occasional diet soda.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I love old cookbooks as well. I have a couple from the 1920's and one from 1943 called Eating For Victory
The flavors are often very different from what we are accustomed to now.
I don't Know about the orange chocolate float..Maybe if you did Coke with a shot of Monin chocolate and orange sherbet....but then you haven't used the Hershey's syrup, have you? LOL!

Randi said...

diet coke, diet dr. pepper, water, club soda and crystal light.

Anonymous said...

Coffee in the morning (with lowfat plain Coffeemate), Diet Coke with lunch and then water, water, water. During the summer I also drink a lot of seltzer and Crystal Light raspberry lemonade when I sit outside by the pool to watch the kids play.

Wanda said...

DIET COKE!!! I love it and drink it constantly when I'm home. When I eat out, I always just drink water. If I think of it beforehand, I take a bottle of water with me when I go out shopping and running errands. I've started drinking Diet Arizona Green Tea fairly often too. I drink coffee (decaf OR real, makes no difference to me), one huge double cup a day with Splenda and lots of real cream, on an on-again/off-again basis. Currently off. That's about it. Oh, wine occassionally.

Anonymous said...

Coke Zero, water and coffee.

Quick Recipes said...

These are such a great idea.. super quick.. yummy and easy