Thursday, June 21, 2007

A little strange looking but delicious
--Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Sauce


Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Betty Crocker’s New Eat and Lose Weight Copyright 1996

1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
1 small onion, chopped (about ¼ cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2/3 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves I used dried
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon freeze-dried chives I used dried
2 teaspoons sugar this was too much
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can (14 ½ ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained I used diced canned tomatoes

Cook and drain the fettuccine as directed on the package. While fettuccine is cooking, spray 3-quart saucepan with nonstick spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic in saucepan, stirring occasionally, until onion is crisp-tender. Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes.

Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens slightly. Add fettuccine to saucepan; toss with tomato sauce.

Makes 5 servings. Per serving: 360cal, 4 g fat, 80mg chol, 180 mg sodium, 68 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein
_____________________

I was in the mood for a creamy tomato sauce, without the guilt. This wasn't the most attractive looking sauce but it was tasty, albeit a bit too sweet. I would leave out the sugar next time. I've seen Giada make something like this but I couldn't find a recipe in her books that I own. It might be in Everyday Pasta which I don't have yet.

I served this with some tomato, basil and mozzarella chicken sausages from Costco. They're light (in fat and calories, not sodium) and they're not bad but I'm just not sure they're worth the price (I think it was $12-$13 for 2 or 3 pounds). They were definitely more flavorful than the turkey sausage they sell in the grocery store. That brand is rather bland and unfortunately it's the only brand of turkey sausage I can get locally.

My new dishwasher is coming today! I finally bit the bullet and bought a nicer (i.e. more expensive) one to replace that piece of garbage. Do not buy Frigidaire! And while we're at it, don't buy those ez-up tents they sell in Dick's either. More garbage. Our second one broke and I looked on their website and there were almost 30 people saying their's broke too - almost everyone of them on the third use. For a $100 item, that's just ridiculous.

I've been doing dishes by hand for months and I can't tell you how sick I am of it.

Blast From The Past: Chicken and Linguine in Creamy Tomato Sauce from October 2005. This was a recipe that was better leftover than it was when I originally served it. Cooking pasta right in the sauce is always tricky.

Question of the Day: Are there any products or companies you would like to warn the rest of us to avoid?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we moved in December, we had phone, computer and satellite tv set up by AT&T. We got really aggrevated with them, they took forever to get the phone and computer right. It was back and forth for a week or so.
My other gripe is with companies that cannot get your new address through their heads. Six months after notifying them of the change (several times) some of my bills still get sent to the old address. So I don't get them in a timely manner.
I know this isn't exactly the question you asked, but thanks for letting me unload anyway.

Jan

Betty Carlson said...

As to your question, apparently Schwepps tonic water is full of horrible stuff. I always thought it was better than "traditional soda" but I guess not!

I'm sure this fettucine was delicious. Vegetables and something creamy go so great with pasta...