Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Avoiding the heat
--Barbecued Chicken and Mushroom Patties



Barbecued Chicken and Mushroom Patties
Quick Cooking Copyright 2001

1 lb ground chicken meat
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped parsley I used some dried parsley
½ cup finely chopped mushrooms
Vegetable oil

1. Place ground chicken meat in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients except oil. Mix well to combine ingredients, then knead a little with one hand to make the meat fine in texture. With wet hands, shape into 4 or 5 flat patties.
2. Heat barbecue or grill to medium-high. Spray grill bars or rack with a little oil and place on the patties. Cook for 8 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Patties are cooked when juices run clear after being pricked with a skewer.
__________________

I picked up some ground chicken on sale last Thursday and then on Friday I bought this rather generic cookbook from my cookbook guy at the 'auction'. I saw this recipe and thought 'perfect!' since I was a recipe short for the week. I picked up a couple of mushrooms and that was all I needed.

This wasn't supposed to be last night's dinner but it was too hot to turn on the oven (required by my original plan for dinner) or to stand over the grill outside (plan B) so I made these on the Griddler since the Griddler is great for things like this, and I roasted some potato cubes in the toaster oven and cooked some sweet corn on the stove top.

These came out nicely. The onion and mushrooms kept the patties moist and they had good flavor, not too 'meatloaf-ish'. My husband felt compelled to tell me that he really liked these. I've just been in one of those moods where nothing really wows me so it was good to get some unsolicited feedback that I can pass along. He ate his on buns with Lord knows what else poured and piled on them but still, he doesn't comment very often so it might mean something.

These were economical too. I think I paid $1.79/pound for the chicken and the vegetables and bread crumbs stretched it out quite a bit. I got 5 good-sized patties. I could have stretched it out to 6 easily.

Blast From The Past: Chicken Patties on Croissants from January 2008. My husband seemed to like those a lot too. I really should look into more recipes for ground chicken patties.

Question of the Day: How often do you get feedback on your cooking?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

These look really good. I've never had chicken burgers/patties, but I think I'd like them.

Anonymous said...

If its good I get feedback right away. If I have to ask "How is it?" then I know its probably not great. Of course I have those rare occasions where its soo good no one wants to come up for air long enough to comment. But that doesn't happen as often as I would like.

Anonymous said...

Just about every night. My hubby is such a sweetie. (I might add that he's easy to please.)

Jan

Anonymous said...

Hey Paula - where do you go to buy these cookbooks? I live in New Jersey and I would LOVE to find a good "cookbook guy" too!!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I buy most of my cookbooks at the once-a-week local farmer's market (called the 'auction' by locals because there's a back room with an auction). There just happens to be a guy there who sells used books and some other items he collects along the way. He goes to auctions and usually buys the cookbooks in lots. They tend to be older but there are some newer ones too.

I generally pay 25 cents to $3 for books from him. Unfortunately I get there late since I work and there are other cookbooks fans who get there earlier and get the better stuff but I still manage to find plenty.


If you're in NJ, you have Ollie's Bargain Outlets there don't you? That's my second favorite place to buy cookbooks. They aren't vintage but you can find some good ones there for cheap.

Anonymous said...

We actually don't have Ollie's here....I checked already! :( Can you give me an address for the farmer;s market? If you don't want to post it, I can give you my email. Thank you so much. I have a cookbook obssession too!!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Honestly, it's a small market in the middle of nowhere and not worth driving from Jersey! Especially since my cookbook guy is not there every week but even if he was, still not worth it.