Monday, June 23, 2008

Keeping it brief this week
--Apple Coffee Cake


Apple Coffee Cake
101 More Things To Do With A Cake Mix Copyright 2004

Cake:
1 yellow cake mix, divided I used butter recipe yellow
1 cup flour
1 envelope (.25 oz) or 2 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
2 large eggs
1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling I used a jar which was slightly larger - 25 oz I think
1/3 cup butter or margarine I used butter

Glaze: I skipped the glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together 1 ½ cups cake mix, flour, and yeast in a bowl. Add warm water, stirring until smooth. Stir in eggs. Spread batter evenly into greased 9x13-inch pan. Spoon pie filling evenly over batter. In separate bowl, cut butter into remaining cake mix with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over pie filling. Bake 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown on top. Allow cake to cool.

Combine powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over cake.
___________________

I had a box of cake mix in the cupboard that my mother-in-law gave to me out of the blue once. I've been thinking about using it for something so when I saw this cookbook in Costco, I grabbed it. I didn't even realize it wasn't the original 101 Things To Do With A Cake Mix until I was typing up the recipe.

I thought it was really good. It still tasted like boxed cake mix but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. The yeast gave it a little lift but I wonder if letting the batter set and rise a bit might make it even fluffier.

I skipped the glaze, mostly out of laziness but it certainly doesn't need the added sweetness. It would be nice for the appearance though. The topping was a bit uneven - gooey in places, browned nicely in others, still looking like raw cake mix in some areas. I had trouble knowing when this was done and I think I overbaked it but it was very forgiving.

That's it. A week from now, they're going to try to coax this baby out of me so this is my last week before all heck break loose in my life - if I make it that long! I've no time to look up Blast From the Pasts or think up Questions of the Day. I'll take questions, if you got them (but nothing too taxing on the brain please).

6 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

I am wishing you and the baby a speedy delivery over the next week or so - hopefully my date will be correct. :) I am amazed that you are still cooking/baking right now - you are definitely a superwoman! I am not a big baker, but shortcuts with cake mix always pique my interest.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula! I was just thinking about you over the weekend and wondering if you were due soon. Do you know what you are having yet? or are you keeping it a surprise? Is Nick ready to be a big brother?

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me, mickey15 posting as anonymous!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

It's another boy, Tammy. Nick is thrilled but what does he know? LOL! He's been nothing but positive and excited about the baby. He has no idea what it's really going to be like to have a baby in the house (and I don't really remember either).

It helps that a lot of his classmates have younger siblings.

Randi said...

It sure doesnt look like a cake mix.

Did you ever post a pic of all your cookbooks?

Sara said...

I haven't been visiting any blogs lately, good luck next week! Hope you and the baby will do fine and that you'll get some rest (probably not!).
Take care!