Thursday, June 12, 2008

Last post of the week
--Potato Chip-Crusted Chicken



Potato Chip-Crusted Chicken
The Most Decadent Diet Ever! Copyright 2008

Two 3-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
Olive oil spray
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne
1 ½ ounces (about ½ cup) finely crushed Baked! Ruffles Potato Chips

Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper on a flat work surface. Use the flat side of a meat mallet to pound them to an even ½-inch thickness. Put the chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag that is slightly larger than the breasts. Pour the buttermilk over the breasts, seal the bag, then turn the bag to coat. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight, rotating once or twice.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with spray. Mix the onion powder, paprika, black pepper, salt and cayenne in a small bowl. Put the chips in a medium shallow bowl. Remove one chicken breast from the buttermilk and let any excess buttermilk drip off. Sprinkle both sides of the breast evenly with half of the seasoning mixture. Then transfer the breast to the bowl of crushed chips and cover completely with the chips.

Place the coated breast on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken breast. Discard any remaining marinade. Lightly mist the top of both breasts with spray. Bake for 4 minutes and then carefully flip the breasts with a spatula, being sure not to remove the coating. Lightly mist the tops with spray and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the coating is crispy and the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve immediately.
_____________________

It was slightly less oppressive last night so I turned on the oven and made this chicken. It was good but nothing incredibly special - that's my mantra these days I think. A women in her ninth month of pregnancy should not be reviewing recipes.

I won't be posting tomorrow. I changed my mind about the recipe I was going to make (too much work for my current energy level). I didn't have time to come up with an alternative so I'm going to take the day off from trying a new recipe.

I came into work this morning and there was a cookbook on my desk! That brightened my day (especially after I overslept and woke up 20 minutes after we were supposed to leave the house!) The coworker who gave it to me said he might have more too. His wife must be de-cluttering.

Blast From the Past: Sweet-Sour Meatballs from November 2005. I think that's what I'm going to make tonight. I wonder if I could fit them in the toaster oven. The only problem was that I was going to make these meatballs this morning so I just had to throw them in the oven but as you can imagine, that didn't get done.

Question of the Day: Do you ever oversleep? I actually think I forgot to set my alarm but I'm so neurotic, I find that hard to believe (I set it, then check it two or three times).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One day, when my alarm went off I turned it off and flopped my head back down to BREATHE before I got up...apparently, as soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep again. AN HOUR later I woke up! Thankfully, I set my alarm 1.5 hours before I need to be at the hospital and I live across the street, so I wasn't late but I freaked out a bit!!!

ThursdayNext said...

I hit the snooze button four times this morning...lol.

Anonymous said...

Occasionally. But I have a cat that likes to be fed in the mornings and she can be a bit of an alarm clock herself!

FJKramer said...

it's amazing how often potato chips are the secret ingredient in good recipes.

In Paris, I had a cassoulet topped with them. I've made a fabulous tortilla espana with them and more.

The spud's no dud!