Thursday, June 26, 2008

Comfort Food
--Tuna Casserole


Tuna Casserole
Pillsbury Complete Cook Book Copyright 2000, 2006

1 (7-oz) pkg ( 1 ½ cups) uncooked elbow macaroni I used Smart Taste and probably a bit more than 7-oz
1 cup milk I forgot this!
4 oz (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese I used Cabot's 50% Light Cheddar
1 ( 10 ¾ -oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup I used the lower-sodium version
1 (6-oz.) can tuna, drained, flaked I used 2 cans
1 (4-oz) can mushroom pieces and stems, drained
2 tablespoons chopped pimientos, if desired I omitted these
2 teaspoons instant minced onion I only had about 1/4 teaspoon left so I added some onion powder
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup potato chips

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2-quart casserole. Cook macaroni in large saucepan or Dutch oven to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain, return to saucepan.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except potato chips to cooked macaroni, stir to combine. Pour mixture into greased casserole; sprinkle with potato chips.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield:6 (1 ¼-cup) servings Per serving: 330 cal, 13g fat, 30mg chol, 660mg sodium, 35g carbs, 2g fiber, 18g protein
____________________

I decided that making this recipe was as easy an any alternative I could come up with so you get one more recipe this week. Tonight I'm making (frozen) burgers on the grill to serve with purchased macaroni salad.

This was good but I forgot the milk. I knew something wasn't right but I somehow missed it. It didn't ruin the dish. It wasn't as creamy and probably slightly saltier than it would have been with the addition of the milk but it was still okay. I think I prefer tuna casserole made with egg noodles.

It was weird making my grocery list for next week since I didn't have to plan any meals for next week.

Well, that might be all you hear from me for a while or it might not. We'll see.

4 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

Just want to wish you well, and congratulations to your family! You will be so happy once that bundle of joy is in your arms.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes! You have been enjoyable to read and I look forward to your return.

ThursdayNext said...

Sending good wishes and all the best to you and your new family member! I cant wait to hear about your new son. He will be so lucky to have you as a mom.

Anonymous said...

I love tuna noodle casserole with the crushed chips on top, it's definitely comfort food for me. Do let us know when the little one arrives!