Thursday, November 15, 2007

Back to our regularly scheduled blogging
--Spicy Ravioli and Cheese



Spicy Ravioli and Cheese
Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker Casseroles and More Copyright 2002

1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder with parsley
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 package (8 or 9 ounces) fresh or frozen ravioli I used a 26 oz bag
1 ½ cups chunky salsa I used 2 cups mild
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced I used more
2 green onions, sliced

Place bell peppers in broilerproof baking dish; sprinkle with oil, seasoned salt, garlic powder and sugar. Broil 15 minutes or until tender and browned, turning once. Prepare ravioli according to package directions. Pour ¾ cup salsa in bottom of 8-inch square baking dish. Alternate layers of bell peppers, ravioli, cheese and green onions. Pour remaining ¾ cup salsa over layers. Cover with foil; bake in 350 degree oven 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
______________________

The phone company came through and fixed the line. It was their problem thank God.

So now I can tell you about this ravioli 'casserole'. This was part of my quest to make more meatless meals. I haven't had any complaints about the lack of meat yet so I must be making good choices.

This was one of those dishes that I started to doubt as it came closer to the time to make it. I had nothing to worry about because I really liked it. I used a mild salsa so it wasn't exactly 'spicy' but it was still very good. In my mind salsa and mozzarella just didn't seem to go but the salsa didn't scream SALSA, it was just a chunky tomato sauce. I used a good amount of peppers and increased the ravioli and salsa to stretch it out. You don't have to be exact with this recipe. It's basically a vegetable lasagne when all is said and done but much easier. You could easily add other vegetables to the peppers or substitute other vegetables - zucchini, eggplant, onions, mushrooms - anything really. It doesn't serve up as pretty as a lasagna but it's a heck of a lot faster and easier to prepare.

Blast From The Past: Cheeseburger Macaroni from March 2006. That recipes is one I'll probably keep making for years.

Question of the Day: Do you make vegetable lasagna? Which vegetables do you use in it?

3 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Oh thank goodness you are back!

I make it with spinach and broccoli. :)

Randi said...

I make veg lasagna all the time. I use frozen chopped spinach in the ricotta mix and zuchini and portabella mushrooms. I hate eggplant and my mom made me an eggplant lasagna for my last birthday!! How could my mom not know that I hate eggplant?

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I have made a few different versions - I liked the last one best and will make it again. It had carrots, zuchinni, pumpkin, kumara, broccoli, potatoes and was supposed to have onion but I left it out.