Friday, November 02, 2007

Not like mom made but still good
--Marinated Cube Steaks



Marinated Cube Steaks
The New York Times Menu Cook Book Copyright 1966

6 cube steaks
½ cup salad oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 scallions, finely chopped I omitted this
1 cup (one 8-ounce can) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
½ teaspoon salt

1. Place the steaks in a shallow baking dish. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the steaks. Marinate for at least three hours (I marinated these all days about 9 hours), turning once.
2. Cook on a grill over charcoal or under the broiler for five to ten minutes until cooked to desired degree of doneness.
_______________________________

I think this is first time I've had cube steaks any other way besides pan-fried, on buttered toast. That's the way we ate them when I was growing up. I would definitely make this recipe again, when I can find cube steaks on sale. It was fast and flavorful.

Grocery shopping wasn't as depressing this week. There were some good sales. That seems to happen close to the holidays. It seemed weird seeing all of the Thanksgiving items out but it is only three weeks away. Damn! I haven't given any thoughts to pies yet. I'd better work on that this weekend.

Blast From The Past: Quick Tamale Casserole from October 2006. Another good recipe that I almost forgot about.

Question of the Day: Where are you spending Thanksgiving this year?

5 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

at my twin sister's - she and i are tag-teaming and cooking together again like we did last year. :) although i am making my standards like my vidalia onion pie and green bean casserole, i am trying a new potato recipe this yaer: gratin with gruyere cheese. mmm....

Randi said...

*snif snif* I'll be cooking for the Senior's on Thanksgiving. I really miss American Thanksgivings with my family.

Wanda said...

My daughter-in-law said she wanted to have it over and their house again this year.

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make cube steak like this but it wasn't a marinade, that's just the way she cooked it..on the stovetop no less!
Twill be at my in-laws for Thanksgiving...though I've had many holiday dinners there this will be my first holiday as an official member of the family.

Unknown said...

AT HOME!!!! with my parents, brother, and my dad's side of the family. Since my parents moved, our house is the central location. I LOVE this time of year...and I can't wait to go home. For me, being used to having my family 10 minutes away, going 3 months without going home is a long time!