Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Holly comes through again
--Dijon Glazed Carrots



Dijon Glazed Carrots
The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook Copyright 2002, 2006

1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Steam the carrots in water until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes, or cook in the microwave. Drain the cooking liquid.

In a small saucepan, combine the margarine, mustard, honey, pepper and ginger over low heat, stirring until just combined and the margarine is melted. Pour the sauce over the carrots, toss gently to coat, and serve.
______________________

I've been looking for something different to do with carrots. I wasn't sure if I was going to like mustard with carrots but I really did. This was a nice change of pace although either the white pepper or ground ginger had a hint of bitterness. I think next time I might try just 1/8 teaspoon of those two ingredients.

I've been in a rut with some ingredients lately. Vegetables in general have been giving me the most trouble. You would think there would be endless possibilities with vegetables, and they're probably are, but I just can't think of those endless possibilities. It can be frustrating looking for veggie recipes because not a lot is in season right now. Well, not as much as a month or two ago.

Blast From The Past: Orange-Honey Glazed Carrots from January 2007. Those are really good but I don't usually have an orange lying around.

Question of the Day: What fresh veggies are you enjoying the most right now?

5 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

the squash...my sister and i made roasted acorn squash last night. :)

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds great! I've been cooking winter squash and green beans, testing Thanksgiving recipes.

Wanda said...

Not sure if this counts since it came pre-washed, in a bag from the supermarket, but organic spinach is what I am enjoying most right now, I think. I bought whole wheat pita bread and am stuffing it with lots of spinach, some cheese, and one or more of the following - chopped tomatoes, cucumber slices, avocado quarters...whatever will fit, then dousing it with Greek dressing. It's a favorite meal of mine. Usually I use a generous amount of alfalfa sprouts, too, but I forgot to get them this time.
The avocados, tomatoes, and cucumber (along with oranges) came from a truck vendor parked in our little community. I had hoped that the produce came from our area or from as far south as Mexico, but I don't know... The avocados were in boxes marked 'Product of Brazil', but the little stickers on them said 'Mexico'.

Anonymous said...

I came home yesterday with eggplant, and "broccoflower". Can't wait to try that! Also tomatoes and cucumbers - they're a staple.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Veggies are the easiest to run out of ideas for, definitely! Limited by seasons...and most cookbooks have the smallest number of vegetable recipes, yet they make less quantity, so usually I end up making them most frequently. I ended up going to www.cooksillustrated.com (membership required) and printing every single recipe they had for vegetables that looked good. For you, a cookbook or three dedicated to veggies would probably be the most fun. It seems to be either roast them or stovetop cooking, but there are so many different herbs, spices, and cheeses to mix it up. I now feel like I am out of a rut. I will often match the flavorings to whatever is in the main dish or whatever herb is about to wilt in my produce drawer.