Friday, November 30, 2007

Simple comfort food
--Swedish Meatballs




Swedish Meatballs
Our Favorite Meats Favorites From Home Economics Teachers Copyright MCMLXVI

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. minced onion
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 can cream of mushroom soup I used the low-fat version
½ soup can water
1 to 2 tbsp. minced dill pickle
Cooked rice

Mix beef, bread crumbs, onion and parsley (I added salt and pepper); shape into 24 meatballs. Brown meat balls; pour off drippings. Stir in soup, water and pickle. Cover; cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. Serve with rice.

Yield: 4 servings.
_________________________

I chose this recipe for the simplicity. The only thing that I needed to buy to make it was the soup. Recipes like this are a crapshoot but luckily this one was a winner in this house. I'm always pleased when my son likes something, not that he's terribly picky.

I made the meatballs in the morning before work and then I just cooked them up when I got home. I think making them ahead of time, even when you don't cook them ahead of time, gives them better flavor. I thought these might be a bit one-dimensional but once the meatballs simmered in the sauce, it developed a lot of flavor. I liked the addition of the minced pickle. It added a bit of a tart little kick.

My grocery bill is creeping up again. It's like falling off of a diet. I just got tired of depriving myself and my family. It still better than it was but I have to buckle down again.

Blast From The Past: Sweet-Sour Meatballs from November 2005. I've been meaning to make these again. My husband really liked them.

Question of the Day: What are some 'extras' or 'treats' that you like to toss into your grocery cart?

6 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Definitely good uality cheeses like gruyere. It can get very pricey, so I either buy it on sale (and its still like $7 for a small block) or splurge once in a while. I love good quality gruyere so much...that crunch and nuttyness is delicious.

Also, any kind of gourmet ice cream. I try to avoid ice cream for dieting reasons, but even when I splurge, its still like $5 for a container that is a pint!

Anonymous said...

It's usually a new flavor of chips or cracker.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi! I made these Swedish Meatballs tonight. I was eager to taste the dill pickles, since I've never had them in a sauce. I couldn't taste the pickles (I put in 1 1/2 tbs.), but these were really tasty nonetheless. Our plates even looked like yours except we had brown rice. In addition to corn, we had creamed spinach. Thanks for the recipe!

Jan

. . . said...

i love those home ec teachers!

i'm with thursdaynext-- cheese is one of my snack weaknesses. and then, naturally, crackers will get thrown into the cart as well.

leosatter said...

this sounds like a good recipe!
Maybe you can help me out with something…? I want to order all of my food online from now on because of various reasons, but I don’t know where to go for quality food. I have tried 2 companies so far, Fresh Dining, and and Celebrity Foods, but I wanna get others I can try out. Do you know of any? The main thing I’ve ordered so far is steak. I guess you can say, I’m a steak junkie. LOL!!! From what I have found out (from what I have ordered so far) I think I am able to regulate the quality of beef I buy. I hate going to a store and getting that crappy slab of beef that I have to cut down until there is like nothing left. Hahaha!!!! (its so true though) Anyhow, sorry that I made this comment so long. If you can help me out or point me in a direction where I might find more quality foods online, I would greatly appreciate it. Have a good day or night! (depending on when you read this) LOL!!!!

Arties32 said...

Apricot Nectar and Mallomars!