Thursday, November 01, 2007

Better than I expected
--Purist Chili



Purist Chili
301 Venison Recipes The Ultimate Deer Hunter’s Cookbook Copyright 1992

2 pounds ground venison
4 strips bacon, chopped I used turkey bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
Finely slivered peel of 1 orange I omitted this - I just forgot to get an orange
1-2 tablespoons chili powder I used 2T
2 tablespoons ground cumin I only used 1 tablespoon
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons hot paprika I used regular paprika
3 canned jalapeño peppers, finely chopped I used frozen (1)

Sauté the bacon in a 2 quart enamel saucepan until crisp. Add the onion, garlic and orange peel. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook until light brown in color, about 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce the heat. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until chili has thickened, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Serves 4.
________________

I thought I was going to have to actually skip a post. This week has been busy with more Halloween activities and I have very little weekday evening time as it is. But I think I can squeeze in this post if I make this short.

I was thinking this might be a disappointment when I made this chili the night before we ate it. However, mixed with some Dreamfield pasta and a shredded cheese blend (provolone, mozzarella and cheddar, I think), this was surprisingly good. I usually like my chili with a tomato base and that probably would have made this even better but it was still quite good without it. If I hadn't made it myself I'm not sure I would have known this was venison.

I had a lot leftover and I think I'll use some of it for tacos on the weekend sometime. It reminds me a lot of taco meat, probably from all of that cumin (and I only used half of what the recipe called for).

I've been finding some good recipes in this cookbook but there is no index. That bugs the heck out of me.

Oh yes, since I completely forgot about the September Cookbook Giveaway, I'll give anyone who hasn't already signed up one more day to do so and then I'll pick a winner. After that I'll probably give it a break until I find another good cookbook to giveaway. It may just turn into a once and a while thing.

Today I'll skip the Blast From The Past.

Question of the Day: How do you like to eat chili? Straight? With pasta? With rice? With crackers? Any other way?

8 comments:

Annie Jones said...

We usually eat ours over corn chips with some sour cream stirred into it.

ThursdayNext said...

I love it over elbow macaroni. :)

Anonymous said...

With homemade chili, I make cornbread to eat along with it. With canned chili, we like saltine crackers. We always have canned chili on hot dogs. Mmmmm...hot dogs with chili, cheese and onions.

Jan

Wanda said...

I like chili with beans added, and I usually make rice to mix in with it too. ...And usually add cheese over it.

Anonymous said...

It's good with pasta, corn chips, alone, with tons of cheese. I used to work at Bobs Big Boy and my Grandfather adored their chili over spaghetti with cheese and onions. I still like it that way more often than not (maybe with a touch of sour cream, I know, overkill!)

Unknown said...

We add small red kidney beans (Goya brand ONLY, can't explain why, but it
really tastes better) then serve
it either on corn bread (use a really good recipe) or rice then lots of cheese and a dollop of sour cream. If I used rice, I put the leftovers in flour tortillas for lunch.

Randi said...

Always cornbread. Sour cream, cheedar and crushed tortilla strips on top.

Kim said...

I like it with a little sour cream if the chili is on the spicy side.

My friend and her kids actually stir in a dollop of--yes--PEANUT BUTTER. The thought just grosses me out...it must be a Southern thing; I don't know.