Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The roll recipe I've been looking for
--Honey Wheat Sandwich Rolls




Honey Wheat Sandwich Rolls
The Ugly Binder, from Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups warm milk
1 egg, beaten I used egg substitute
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
2 tablespoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press start.
When dough cycle has finished, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out 3/4 inch thick. Cut out rolls with a 3 to 4 inch diameter biscuit cutter. I made two sizes, bigger and smaller dinner roll sized. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets; cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. When rolls are finished baking, brush with melted butter.
_________________

This recipe was from allrecipes.com. I'm sure I have hundreds of dinner roll recipes in my cookbooks but I've seen this one raved about and I didn't have time to mess around. I thought the rolls could use a tad more salt but otherwise, I'm already thinking about making another batch of these rolls. This was the kind of roll I've been looking for. It was soft and a bit sweet.

I had to divide the recipe into two halves since I could only fit half of the recipe in each side of my dual bread machine. That is one nice thing about allrecipes.com - they'll do the math for you. It worked out fine. I used egg substitute since I needed to use 1/2 of an egg on each side.

I finally cooked last night. I freestyled some flounder. I topped it with breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter and Old Bay, then I sprinkled on some fresh lemon juice before serving. It was so good! I always forget about Old Bay even though my husband eats it on lots of things. I always found it to be too salty but I started buying the lower sodium version.

Of course, I served the flounder with Spongebob and Scooby Doo Kraft mac and cheese LOL. My son liked that and so did I honestly. That's one of the few convenience foods from my childhood that still tastes good for me.

Blast From The Past: Skillet Chicken Parmigiana from May 2007. I was supposed to make that again this week but it's going to get pushed off until next week. I wish it wasn't though because I'm really looking forward to it.

Question of the Day: Do you like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?

3 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

I do, but I cant have it in large doses because it gets too salty. Annie's mac and cheese varations are now my favorite above Kraft. :)

Anonymous said...

I surely do. And just what I need! :/

Rebel In Ontario said...

A weekend lunch staple at my house, KD and all beef hotdogs! The boys look for them now and I figure if that is the only convienence food they are eating in a week, so be it!