Thursday, January 17, 2008

Basic but good
--Lip-Smackin’ Mac ‘n’ Cheese



Lip-Smackin’ Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Better Homes and Gardens New Junior Cook Book Copyright 2004

1 small onion
8 slices American cheese (6 ounces)
2 2/3 cups dried corkscrew macaroni (rotini) or elbow macaroni
¾ cup milk
Dash black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, if you like

1. On a cutting board use a sharp knife to cut onion into small pieces (you should have 1/3 cup). Save until Step 3.
2. Tear cheese slices into bite-size pieces. Save until Step 5.
3. Cook the macaroni in a saucepan following the package directions, except add onion to water along with the uncooked macaroni so they cook together. When macaroni is cooked, turn off the burner. Remove saucepan from burner.
4. Place colander in sink. Carefully pour macaroni mixture into the colander to drain water.
5. Return warm macaroni mixture to saucepan. Use wooden spoon to stir in American cheese, milk and pepper.
6. Put saucepan on burner. Turn the burner to medium heat. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring all the time. Turn off burner. Remove saucepan from burner. If mixture is too thick, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons additional milk. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if you like.

Add-ins are also suggested (like vegetables and ham). I sautéed some SPAM Lite and added it. Yes, I said SPAM!
_________________

I had lots of leftovers from a cheese tray I served at my son's birthday party so I was planning a fancier macaroni and cheese but the leftover cheese was eaten by the big mouse that I married so I ended up making this basic version from a kids' cookbook. They had a copy of this cookbook at my son's daycare and the kids were obsessed with it. They pulled it out first thing every morning. It has vivid pictures and illustrations.

I liked this. It wasn't my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe ever (I prefer some good cheddar in there of course) but it was satisfying enough with the addition of some lite SPAM. My son mostly just ate the SPAM. I liked the slight onion flavor from the boiled onions.

I've having a lot of trouble planning next week's menu. I just don't know what I'm in the mood for.

Blast From The Past: Horn and Hardart’s Baked Macaroni and Cheese from November 2005. Now that's my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe.

Question of the Day: Have you ever eaten at a Horn and Hardart Automat? I guess that question is for the older folks since the last one closed in 1991 (although they might be making a comeback). I most of the way through college by then by I still never visited a Horn and Hardart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read your blog, I expected your question to be about Spam.....no, no automats in these parts.

Jan

Annie said...

No. Never even heard of it!

ThursdayNext said...

No, I have not, but I get sad hearing the awesome stories my parents tell me about the Automats and wish I could also have had their experiences at them when I was a kid.

Cat said...

My grandmother bought me this cookbook when I was younger. It is my go to for simple and delicious recipes that are fun to do with my family.

The mac n cheese is creamy and delicious - plain or with added ingredients

I also recommend the streusel topped muffins. They make a nice grab and go breakfast - I like adding fresh rasberries