Monday, January 14, 2008

A hit
--Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole



Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole
The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook Copyright 2002, 2006

2 (16-ounce) packages frozen French-cut green beans, thawed
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, quartered and drained
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
(I halved the recipe but used the entire 14-ounce can of artichokes)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the green beans, artichoke hearts, bread crumbs, olive oil, garlic and cheese. Place in a 3-quart oblong casserole coated with non-stick cooking spray, and bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve.
_______________________

I had a surplus of Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese so this recipe sounded like a good idea. Apparently, from what I can see from a quick Google search, this is a very popular recipe. This is my first time eating it or making it but I can see why it's so popular. This was a lighter version - some use more cheese, some use canned soups, some use canned green beans, etc - but it was very good. My husband ate a surprising amount of this for someone who will often pass up the vegetable portion of a meal completely. I think I'll be making this again.

I halved the recipe that you see above except I still used the entire 14-ounce can of artichokes since they don't make a smaller can.

I pulled a cookbook off the shelf the other day that I didn't even recognize. I'm sure I bought it from my cookbook guy at the auction but I really didn't remember seeing it before then. I haven't purchased any cookbooks in quite a while but I'm looking forward to looking at the ones I have more closely. When I was buying them every week during the summer, it was hard to keep up with them.

Blast From the Past: Cauliflower with Garlic and Bread Crumbs from June 2006. I've been a fan of vegetables and bread crumbs for a long time.

Question of the Day: Have you ever had Green Bean and Artichoke Casserole?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I haven't. It sounds really good and I'm putting this on my "to cook" list.

Jan

Unknown said...

I haven't. It looks good, but I'm really not an artichoke fan. I wonder if there'd be a good substitute!?

Wanda said...

No...and I've never even conceived of such a thing! It looks delicious. I just m i g h t cook it.

Anonymous said...

Haven't had it or even heard of it, but this actually sounds tastey!

Heather said...

I have only had green bean casserole that many people have at Thanksgiving. I may have to try this one, especially since it is light.