Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I shouldn't have shared
--Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage



Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage
Reader’s Digest Eat To Beat High Blood Pressure Copyright 2004

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large red onion, cut into small chunks
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, cut into small chunks
6 cups thickly shredded green cabbage (1 small head)
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
Salt to taste
¼ teaspoon rubbed sage I omitted this
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup cider or rice vinegar

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in cabbage. Sprinkle brown sugar, salt, sage and black pepper over cabbage, and cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is wilted, about 10 minutes.
3. Add vinegar, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until cabbage is well coated, about 3 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
_______________________

This is just the sort of thing I've been in the mood for lately. I planned to make this for myself, for lunches, but I never got around to it so I ended up making it as a side for dinner. Not a good move because there was hardly any left! I will definitely make this again. I don't get very creative with vegetable sides and I really need to.

I'm getting back into my cooking groove. I'd better enjoy it while I have the time to enjoy it. It really helps that I acquired another bookshelf and now all of my cookbooks are easily accessible instead of piled all over the place. Unfortunately I'm just about out of meat in the freezer which makes it hard to plan recipes but I'll get to Costco soon.

Miracle of all miracles, my local grocery store is offering triple coupons for up to 6 coupons, and only for coupons worth up to 50 cents (they would never double more than 50 cents either). I don't remember the last time I used a coupon and that's not my main shopping venue but this is the first time I've seen triple coupons in this area, except for special limited-time promotions.

Blast From The Past: Cabbage Slaw from July 2006. I think I'm going to make that simple and delicious cole slaw with the rest of the cabbage.

Question of the Day: Do your grocery stores offer triple coupons? Up to what amount?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One store has triple up to 39 cents and double the 50 cent ones. But I go there less frequently than my other two stores. I haven't taken the time to organize my coupons and probably get a better bargain at the other two stores anyway.

Jan

Sara said...

They don't do stuff like that here. Most of the stores have membership cards that give you discounts.

Undomestic Goddess said...

hi~
I just made you sweet and sour cabbage and it was fantastic! I love cabbage! Also the stores in my area will triple coupons up to a $2 value.