Tuesday, January 29, 2008

More from Mamma
--Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes



Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes
Cooking and Canning with Mamma D’Amato Copyright 1997

6 potatoes
1 onion, sliced
3 green or red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 ½ pounds Italian sausage

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel potatoes and cut into wedges. (I didn't peel my potatoes.)Layer potatoes, onion slices, and peppers in a baking dish and sprinkle with garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Lay sausages on top of mixture and prick each sausage with fork several times. Bake until mixture browns, 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6.
____________________

Mamma D'Amato knows her way around the kitchen and I have faith in her recipes except for one thing which I almost forgot - don't trust her cooking times and temperatures! I've noticed with other recipes that the cooking time and temps are just too long, too high. After about 30 minutes at 400 degrees, I checked on these and my sausages were already too brown but the potatoes were far from done. I turned down the oven at that point but I would go lower from the start if I do it again.

I made this the night before we ate it and some of my onions and peppers that were on the ends burned and the sausages were a bit overdone so I wasn't sure it would be a success but it was. It was flavorful and really not too heavy considering this dish contained sausage and potatoes. I would usually toss everything in a bit of oil first but this used only the fat from the sausages. Italian sausage is fatty enough without adding more fat so that was a nice plus. It was a bit dry in the sense that there wasn't any real juice but I had a bit of ketchup along side mine.

Blast From The Past: Balsamic Chicken from January 2006, also from Mamma D'Amato.

Question of the Day: Was your mother a good cook?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks as if everyone thinks their Mothers might see the comments and are avoiding the question. LOL!

I thought everything she made was good.

Jan

Wanda said...

Me too. Most of what she made - how it tasted and looked - is the compass for what the various dishes 'should' be like, for me.

Anonymous said...

Honestly? No. But I can say that cuz I don't think she reads your blog! She was a single mom and I grew up with Hamburger Helper, Tuna Noodle Casserole, Canned Chili, Spam, Swanson TV Dinners.....