Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!
--Sugar Cookies



Sugar Cookies
Helping Our Kids Grow Copyright 2000

2 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 c. sour cream combined with 1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Dash of nutmeg I omitted this
4 c. flour

Mix eggs, sugar, soft butter. Combine 1 tsp. baking soda with sour cream and add to mixture. Add vanilla, salt and dash of nutmeg. Add 2 tsp, baking powder to 4 c. flour, sift into mixture and mix thoroughly. Chill mixture overnight. Roll and cut out cookies. I didn't chill. I scooped the dough with a small scoop and flattened it with the bottom of a wet glass. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes according to thickness of cookie. Cover with icing and top with coconut. I used sprinkles.
_________________________

I didn't get any pictures of the new wing recipe I tried last night. It was good but I didn't feel like frying the wings so they weren't as good as they could be. I didn't get out of work early as I had hoped so dinner was kind of rushed but both guys complimented the meal. I'll try that wing recipe again, the proper way, and report back at a later date.

So here's another cookie recipe. I was really baking by the seat of my pants this year. After making a few planned recipes I realized I needed more cookies to fill up the trays I bought so I decided on this simple sugar cookie recipe. I didn't have any ricotta cheese on hand to make my Ricotta cookies so these were a substitute for those. Those poor Ricotta cookies may have been pushed out of the rotation for good, I liked these sugar cookies so much.

I actually didn't have a taste for sweets while baking this year. I had to force myself to taste each cookie to make sure I didn't forget the sugar. I'm still not craving much in the way of sweets but I do find myself eating two of these cookies with milk almost every night. So these were my stand-out cookie this year, however with pregnancy taste buds, that doesn't mean much I guess. I think I crave the milk more than the cookies.

I'm not doing any culinary resolutions this year since my percentage of completion the past two years has been pretty dismal. I'll use the first six months of this year to try to catch up but the second six months of this year will be useless for any ambitious cooking projects.

Blast From The Past: Sherried Shrimp from January 2006. I miss shrimp a lot. I'll have to talk to my son's allergist about when we might be able to introduce it. We don't really have any reason to believe he's allergic to shrimp but you get paranoid when your kid has food allergies.

Question of the Day: Was your New Year's Eve fun? I was asleep by 9pm. I just couldn't keep my eyes open after working all day and then cooking dinner. I didn't even wake up at midnight. It might have been raining and that might have kept the local firework lovers indoors because I didn't hear anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was up with the GD's. (10 and 7) They were determined to stay up until midnight. Well, we made it, but I was doubtful at times. We had hats, blow-outs, confetti, chips and dips and sparkling grape juice in champagne glasses. Later their Mom asked them what time they went to bed. The answer was "12:05"!

Jan

Unknown said...

Lets see...I ate alone and then went to a friend's house to visit and then we watched Fever Pitch. I was driving home when it turned midnight.