Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The last of the Christmas cookies
--Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies



Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies
Best Recipes from American Country Inns and Bed and Breakfasts Copyright 2004

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
1 square unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 eggs at room temperature
1 cup sour cream at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips I used Andes Peppermint bits

Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In mixer, combine butter and sugar and mix well. Stir cooled chocolate into butter mixture. Add eggs and blend. Add sour cream and vanilla and blend. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Chill dough 8 to 10 hours or overnight. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet, cool on racks, and watch them disappear.

Yield 4 to 6 dozen cookies.
__________________________

I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while so when I was looking for a recipe to use the Andes Peppermint bits in, I decided to use this one. It's not an intense chocolate cookie base so I think this would be great with the chocolate chips and I intend to make it with the chocolate chips one day. Double chocolate chip cookies can be too intense for me but sometimes you want a bit more chocolate than a regular chocolate chip cookies. This would be a nice middle ground.

These didn't turn out as cute as I had hoped but they were certainly minty. Those bits were very strong. I have both light and dark cookie sheets. I used parchment paper under all the cookies but the ones on the dark sheets got too brown on the bottom (from the bits I think, not the cookie itself) so make sure if your cookie sheets are dark to turn down the oven (something you should probably always do when using dark bakeware).

And that's the end of my Christmas baking this year. I'm actually surprised I ended up making three new recipes. Between Friday night and Sunday before Christmas I did all my baking and candy making. I made Chocolate-Dipped Caramels (much better this year - I didn't overcook them), Five-Minute Fudge (with mini marshmallows), Welsh cookies, Ruth Wakefield’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (with Christmas Kissables), Peach and Raspberry Kisses, Coconut Butterballs, Spritz, Fruit and Cheese Bread, Sugar Cookies, Kolacky and these Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies.

So I got my energy back somewhat but my appetite has been very wonky. It's hard to plan ahead since for one thing I'm not very hungry except for right when I need to eat (I'm used to being perpetually hungry) and the other thing is that my food cravings keep changing. First I wanted junk, now I want healthier food but that might change at any moment. It's hard to be a food blogger right now!

Blast From The Past: Orecchiette with Tuna, Lemon and Caper Sauce from September 2007. I'm going to have to make a list of super easy recipes like this for after the baby comes.

Question of the Day: Do your food cravings change pretty often or do you eat a lot of the same foods over and over?

3 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Glad to see you post, Paula! The only food I get a specific craving for after a few days of not having any is pasta...and then I *have* to have it right then and there. :)

Unknown said...

I do get cravings, but I still tend to eat the same thing. The cravings are rare.

Anonymous said...

What Claire said.

Jan