Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm trying
--Heritage Supper



Heritage Supper
The Complete Cheese Cookbook Copyright 1971

2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk I used low-fat milk
¼ teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
½ pound of Velveeta, cubed I used 2% Velveeta
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 3-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
¼ cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
1 8-ounce package thin spaghetti, cooked, drained I used Smart Taste
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ cups cooked ham strips I used turkey ham

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Make white sauce with margarine, flour, milk and seasonings. Add Velveeta, green pepper, mushrooms, onion and pimiento; stir until Velveeta melts. Combine spaghetti and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese; layer half of spaghetti, ham and Velveeta sauce in 12x8-inch baking dish; repeat layers. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees, 25 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
_________________________

I’m not sure what drew me to this recipe. Desperation? LOL. Nothing appeals to me these days so something homey must have sounded good. It was pleasant but honestly I shouldn’t be giving my opinion these days because very little thrills me. Pizza Bread was the only thing I ate this week that I did flips over but I’m not sure if you can trust me when I like something either.

This is a Kraft book so ‘Complete Cheese’ is a bit misleading. It does discuss a lot of fancier cheeses but the recipes stick to cheeses that Kraft was producing in 1971.

I went grocery shopping last night and it was depressing. Prices are so high and I had no idea what I would be in the mood for all week so I was throwing things in the cart willy-nilly. I had one of those bad-turning carts and I almost pulled an abdominal muscle pushing it around after it was full. They discontinued my favorite pizza cheese (Freschetta) which was just the right blend and not greasy when baked.

I'm glad this week is over!

Blast From The Past: Old-Time Beef Stew from February 2006. I can't believe I haven't made that again this year yet.

Question of the Day: What's the last meal you ordered at a restaurant? (Maybe that will inspire me! The last meal I had in a restaurant, besides McDs, was a pulled pork sandwich and fries.)

7 comments:

MommyProf said...

I know - the price of food is off the hook. I keep telling Offspring "Finish your milk! Milk is $4 a gallon!"

Anonymous said...

We discovered a wonderful little Cajun seafood place that has such good food. I ordered a cup of crawfish bisque and a grilled shrimp salad. However, I also ate (courtesy of the other members of my family) delicious fried oysters and battered fries. Yummmmm!

Jan

Carla said...

Yuck, sounds like a crappy week. And as much as I love grocery shopping, it's hard on the wallet. I really hope the stimulus package goes through, but it's probably not going to solve any long-term problems.

I never made homemade pierogies, although I want to. Let me know if you find a good recipe.

I usually eat chicken a la king and some kind of curry once a week. Although I've been slacking on curry due to class and work around dinner time. I just made this wonderful cinnamon bread last night, although I'm guessing you want actual food and not snacks lol

Randi said...

I think you're amazing the way you cook dinner every night after a long day of work and you're pregnant. I worked 4 days this week( granted, it was cooking) but I had no desire to cook when I came home.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea they made 2% Velveeta!

Last restaurant meal I had was sushi which wouldn't work for you. I did have a wonderful Vietnamese soup for lunch the other day..nice and spicy and a change of pace.

Unknown said...

The last meal I had at a restaurant was at a nice place here for the oncology journal club...pharmaceutical reps paid!!! I had the parmesan encrusted red fish with zucchini. Before that I had a grilled chicken greek salad at a local deli when my parents were here and a Hawaiian pizza at a local pizza place the night before. THere are three options! Hope you get inspired.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Last meal out was a fantastic Morrocan Lamb Pizza. Before that was when I was away for work and I had Chicken Parmiagana one night and Caeser Salad the next day. Also had some seriously delicious Salt and Pepper Squid while we were holidaying over Christmas. Hope that gives you some ideas.