Monday, January 14, 2008

These were crap
--Chocolate Cupcakes




I convinced my son that I should make the sheet cake yellow and the cupcakes chocolate, thinking that would work out better. But the chocolate cake recipe I loved as a sheet cake did not work for cupcakes. They were a big disaster. Late Friday evening I had to start all over and I chose this recipe which I think I overbaked. They were terribly dry. Thankfully, the yellow sheet cake was wonderful and almost no one asked for a cupcake.



At least I thought, I'll have something to blog about on Monday, even if it wasn't good. Well, I copied the recipe and was just about done with the post when I realized that I had already blogged about this recipe! LOL, it was bound to happen someday I suppose. After almost 600 recipes, it's getting hard to keep track of which recipes I've tried and which ones I haven't. I should make notations in my cookbooks.

So, no new recipe today. Sorry.

So, I have to wonder, what is the deal with cupcakes? They're such a fad lately but practically everytime I see someone on a blog mention a fancy popular cupcake bakery (and there are several), they don't rave over the cupcakes. The icing is usually good but the cake itself is often dry, which is bound to be the case when you think about how hard it is make and keep such a small cake moist. Not that I've never had a good cupcake because I have but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. You can give me a nice piece of sheet cake over a cupcake anyday.

Blast From The Past: Easy Buttercream from January 2006. That's my go-to frosting recipe and people seem to like it.

Question of the Day: Have you tried a cupcake from a bakery that specializes in cupcakes? Was it any good?

7 comments:

Red Dirt Mummy said...

They might not have tasted great but they look very cute!

I love cupcakes but have rarely had a 'nice' one from a bakery. I agree that it's hard to keep them moist and fresh so I usually make my own.

The Tomball Three said...

Yes- I had one from Sprinkles- the big LA bakery... they opened one in Dallas.

It was really just "ok". I had to take most of the icing off because it was SO hard and SO much... and the cake was rather dry. Not the best thing I have ever had.

Randi said...

I havent had one from a bakery, but I made some fantastic ones last weekend. They were from a TOH magazine. Chocolate w/ a cream cheese filling and an easy choc. frosting. I have a load of the frosting left so I might just make another batch.

. . . said...

people at my old job in newport beach, california liked to go to sprinkles cupcakes quite often. some of their cupcakes were really tasty, but most were very average. a friend and i did a taste test once-- sprinkles, homemade, and little debbie (ha). little debbie lost by a lot, but homemade actually beat sprinkles!

i laughed when i read your post. the cupcakes looks adorable. =)

ThursdayNext said...

here in NY the sex and the city cast made known magnolia bakery cupcakes...they are in the village and live up to the hype. the red velvet cupcakes are the best!

Unknown said...

I agree, they are SUPER cute! I haven't gotten any specialty cupcakes but think they are super fun to make! Maybe I'll make some for my friends b-day coming up next week. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have only made home made cupcakes once (last Easter) and they were very good - what recipe I used, I cannot recall. I just read this article - which included a few cupcake recipes. What a coincidence ;-)
http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080113/FEAT0103/801130395

elizabeth (fairly newish reader)