Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I had my egg salad on ...
--Cottage Dill Bread



Cottage Dill Bread
Electric Bread Copyright 1996

½ cup water
2 cups white bread flour
1 tbsp. dry milk
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter
¼ cup cottage cheese
½ tbsp. dry onion
½ tbsp. dill seed
½ tbsp. dill weed
1 tsp. fast rise yeast or 2 tsp. active dry yeast

Prepare per your bread machine’s instructions. You may need to add more water depending on how wet your cottage cheese is.

Makes 1 1-lb loaf.
__________________________

When I decided to make the egg salad filling, I thought, what will I eat it on? I immediately thought of this recipe that I had on my 'to make' list. I picked up this great bread machine cookbook at a church picnic last year. It's loaded with delicious sounding recipes but this is the first one I've tried. It won't be the last, that's for sure. This bread had fantastic texture and flavor.

Often before I transcribe a recipe, I look for it online already (so I can cut and paste). It's usually already out there somewhere (and most often not attributed for those who wonder if it's right for me to be posting recipes from cookbooks - at least I give my source!). This recipe appears numerous times but calling for 1 1/4 cups of cottage cheese instead of 1/4 cup but I double checked the book and it's only 1/4 cup. I did need to add more water but not a huge amount. They recipe for the larger recipe calls for 3/4 cup and it's often posted online right next to this smaller recipe so the 1 1/4 cups definitely seems wrong but it's posted that way almost everywhere on the internet so that might work too, who knows?

Blast From The Past: Ruth Wakefield’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars from June 2007. I have a bake sale to bake for soon and this is one of the recipe contenders.

Question of the Day: Any good bakesale ideas? I think we're just selling individually-sized goodies (no whole cakes or pies, etc).

3 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

That bread looks delish on its own. I am making carrot cake cupcakes for Sunday...these may be a nice change for bake sales that always have lots of chocolate cupcakes...
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/240966

Anonymous said...

I would say chocolate covered oreos - very easy! Also, expresso rice krispie treats, or peanut buteer rice krispie treats always do well!

Kelly

Randi said...

I've been making these really fantastic creamcheese filled cupcakes( taste of home recipe) lately and everyone raves over them.