Thursday, March 13, 2008

Too salty
--Baked Beef Stew



Baked Beef Stew
Church Potluck Carry-Ins and Casseroles Copyright 2006

3 pounds lean stew beef
1 2-ounce package onion soup mix
1 10.75 ounce cans golden mushroom soup
½ cup Sauterne wine

1. Combine all ingredients and place in 9”x13” greased baking dish.
2. Cover with foil.
3. Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours.

Serves 8 to 10
_________________________

I was craving something like this. Initially I was looking at 'cream of soup' recipes but I decided that this one might be a little bit lighter. Of course, it had loads of salt. Loads and loads of salt.

I made this the day before we ate it. It smelled so good while it was cooking! When I reheated it the next day, I added water which diluted the saltiness somewhat but it was still too salty. I halved the recipe and only used 1 packet of onion soup but I used one whole can of mushroom soup. Maybe it wouldn't have been too salty with more beef. I would not use two packets of soup no matter what!

Baking is definitely the way to go with stews though. In the crockpot or on the stovetop you just don't get the same result.

Blast From The Past: Hamburger and Onion Stuffed Bread from January 2007. I'm thinking of making another stuffed bread variation next week. I'm stumped for something to do with ground beef.

Question of the Day: Any ground beef ideas for me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I come here and use your recipes often and have only left a comment once. I thought I would share my all time fav ground beef recipe!

Mozzarella Tamale

1 lb ground beef
1 med onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
small can of sliced black olives
small can of green chilies
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 box of Jiffy Cornbread mix (I use 2)

In a large sauté pan, brown ground beef with onion and green bell pepper until done. Drain well. Return ground beef to pan, add cheese and stir until completely melted. Add black olives green chilies and taco seasoning and stir.

Add mixture to baking dish and set aside.

Prepare cornbread mix and cover meat mixture with mix.

Bake casserole according to instructions on box or until cornbread is completely done.

Let stand for 15-20 mins… Enjoy!

Jennifer said...

No...but when you get some will you share them. I just bought 12 pounds of ground sirloin on sale for 99 cents a pound. I'm not quite sure what to do with it all. Thanks anonymous...I'll be using that one.

Anonymous said...

Woah!! Ground sirloin for 99 per pound. What a bargain.

Without going on a recipe hunt, the ones I can think of that I don't remember you mentioning are three:

A Mexican rice with hamburger. The rice is browned and the meat cooked. All is put in a covered skillet with the seasonings and liquid and cooked. It's a one-dish meal.

Make mashed potatoes. Put in a casserole. Top with cheddar. Top with hamburger (cooked). Top with more cheddar. Put in oven til hot and cheese melted. My DGDs LOVE this.

An original: I call it Campout Casserole (inspired by DH ages ago when he was in the Boy Scouts). In a 9x13 pan: layer thinly sliced potatoes, sliced carrots (precooked), raw crumbled hamburger, chopped onion. Pour barbecue sauce over all (not too much). Cover and bake til potatoes are done. (Season each layer.)

Sorry this is so long. Jan

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Thanks. I think I'm going to make Salisbury steak next week but I'm going to save these ideas. You think it would be easy to come up with ground beef ideas but it's not!

Anonymous said...

I've never made beef stew in the oven, must try that! I use the crock pot and it's OK.

For ground beef I like to make the "enchilada lasagna" where you layer corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, g.b. and cheddar.

Love the "campout casserole" idea - DH and I grew up eating "tinfoil dinners" and everyone likes it but it's a lot of work to make six packets, so this would be easier!