Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Rich but yummy
--Brookville Coleslaw



Brookville Coleslaw
High Plains Country Cooking Copyright 1993

1 ½ lbs. cabbage, shredded
1 cup cream, whipped (it doesn't need to be whipped)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt

Place shredded cabbage in the refrigerator for several hours. Combine remaining ingredients and mix with cabbage about 30 minutes before serving.
______________________

Coleslaw is something that I can freestyle but it's very hit or miss. I have tried several very good coleslaw recipes but I still find myself drawn to try even more coleslaw recipes.

This recipe was a bit confusing. Why whip the cream? Is that one cup whipped or one whipped cup? I actually found a copy of this recipe on the internet which did not mention whipping the cream so I didn't. I think they just meant to use whipping cream.

I thought it sounded like a lot of liquid but I tried to get away with only making half of the 'sauce' but it wasn't enough. This is a very rich recipe but most of the liquid (fat) gets left behind and this is the type of coleslaw you'll probably just eat a small amount of, not a huge bowl full. I really liked it. I would add some grated onion for bite and some grated carrot for color in the future but as it was, it was a good basic recipe.

I just realized that with Daylight Savings coming up, I might start making the trek to auction on Friday nights again since it won't get dark as early. I'd just like to see what kind of produce they have this time of year and maybe my cookbook guy is still there (although I have no more room for cookbooks!)

Blast From The Past: Sweet-Sour Meatballs from November 2005, from this same cookbook. I found the coleslaw recipe when I was pulling out this meatball recipe for this week (tonight). Of course, now I'm reading that I doubled the sauce recipe when I made it and I don't think I have that much ketchup (or cider vinegar) at home. Argh!

Question of the Day: Do you like coleslaw?

8 comments:

Rebel In Ontario said...

Coleslaw is a staple at our house, but I cheat :-) I buy the shredded mix and a bottle of coleslaw dressing, add some onion to it and there ya go, Bob's your uncle!

DancesInGarden said...

My mother makes the best coleslaw, either creamy or vinagrette. My fave is the vinagrette style, which I don't like to be sweet.

My recipe is very good, although not hers (you know how that goes LOL). Shredded cabbage, carrots, and a bit of onion or even celery. One part sherry vinegar to two or three parts olive oil. LOTS of salt and pepper. It's the pepper that makes it for me, I think. Red cabbage looks very pretty, and the thinner you slice the cabbage and veggies the better.

For creamed coleslaw we use green cabbage and a bit of carrot. Then add miracle whip and sweet pickle relish and mix. The relish is what makes it so good, actually.

We would have the vinagrette with fried foods (fish and chips, for example) and the creamed with roasted meats (like turkey or roast pork).

Wanda said...

Yes, my husband and I both like cole slaw. So do some of the kids and even the grandkids. I don't remember the last time I made any though, and then it was just green cabbage, carrot and mayonnaise, I think. No recipe. Now that I've read this, I've seen the error of my non-cooking ways. I usually just buy it from the deli or through a fast food window. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

We like cole slaw and the seven year old DGD can make a meal of it. I often get the bagged in the produce section and use the bottled dressing. I add other ingredients, usually. I have used recipes to make it also, but not as often.

Jan

ThursdayNext said...

I love coleslaw - just had a great slaw at a place called Donovans in Bayside, NY. It wasnt too mayonaisey and so flavorful!

Unknown said...

I really like coleslaw but I'm still searching for that perfect recipe! So thanks for posting one.

Anonymous said...

IMO the recipe is telling you to whip a cup of cream, which would give you two cups of whipped cream to fold in to the salad. If it is "1 cup, whipped." If they wanted 1 cup of whipped cream, it would say "1 cup whipped cream". It is like "1 cup chopped nuts" means you chop some nuts and then measure out 1 cup of them, but "1 cup nuts, chopped" means you measure a cup of nuts, then chop them. It is all about where they put the comma. Unless the recipe author didn't know these rules ;)

Kansas_Kate said...

Brookville refers to the Brookville Hotel in Abilene, Kansas. They're famous for their fried chicken which is served with mashed potatoes & gravy, creamed corn, biscuits, cottage cheese, spiced apple rings, spiced peaches, bread & butter pickles, and their sweet-sour coleslaw which they say is an old family recipe from Pennsylvania.

A recipe for their slaw was published in a 1970 cookbook from Beloit, a small town near there. It calls for 2/3 cup cream to be whipped.