Thursday, March 27, 2008

The party's over
--Sweet 'n' Smoky Oven-Barbecued Chicken



Sweet 'n' Smoky Oven-Barbecued Chicken
Best Recipes From The Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars Copyright 1979, 1981, 1982

1 (3 to 3 1/2 lb.) fryer, cut up
1/2 c. water
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 tsp. hickory smoked salt I used smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper

Barbecue Sauce:
1/2 c. catsup
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1/2 c. Mazola oil
1/4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. maple syrup

Combine the catsup, mustard, oil, vinegar, maple syrup. Stir.

Wash and clean chicken and pat dry. Cut into serving pieces. Place pieces skin side up in small roaster or baking pan. Pour 1/2 cup water in bottom pan. Peel and slice 1large onion and tuck around chicken pieces. Sprinkle with hickory smoked salt and pepper.Place in 375 degree oven uncovered. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and pour barbecue sauce over top. Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, basting 2 or 3 times.
______________________

I failed my 3-hour glucose test. That means I have gestational diabetes, which does not surprise me at all. I've been feeling great but I just had a feeling. I've been thirstier than usual. My sister had it with one of her pregnancies, my mother has type II now, I was a big baby. I have other risk factors. I knew it was coming.

So things are going to change around here. I'd like to add 'until this passes', as gestational diabetes was once thought of as a transient condition that disappeared when the pregnancy ended, but women with GD are usually destined for Type II diabetes later in life. So while hopefully I won't be counting every carb after the baby comes, I will still need to wise up and eat healthier.

The funny thing is that I've been eating much better and have gained much less weight this pregnancy but I started out heavier. And older.

Obviously today's recipe was prepared before I got the diagnosis. It probably makes my diagnosis less surprising. Anyone who reads here regularly knows I like things a bit sweet. I always thought that was a nice compromise - if my meal was a tad sweet, I didn't crave dessert afterwards. I really don't eat a lot of sweet, dessert type stuff outright. Not on a daily basis. Most cookies and cakes only gets partially eaten around my house before we have to toss them. We rarely finish a container of ice cream. I use high fiber pastas whenever I can. I work out five days a week. Eating too much in general and genetics were my downfall. Argh!

Okay, back to the recipe. Way too much oil. I knew that but I didn't go with my instincts. Most of it went down the drain - the extra sauce was too oily to enjoy. I loved the onion and the nice caramelization on the chicken. I'm not sure it was the best use of my pricey maple syrup but it was enjoyable enough. I think without the oil or maybe with just a tablespoon or two, this would be much, much better. It was a recipe contest winner so I didn't want to mess with it but live and learn.

I may miss a few days until I get on track. I haven't received my dietary instructions yet but I generally know what to expect. One of my son's teachers is a month ahead of me and she also has GD and goes to the same Ob/Gyn practice so she's been filling me in. I was able to pick out several low-carb recipes for next week so I should be okay. One nice 'side effect' is that I can get some healthier recipes and foods past my husband since I told him that he's going to have to eat differently too (he has an even stronger family history of diabetes).

And maybe this will be a good excuse to get more cookbooks with diabetic recipes!

Blast From The Past: Peach Crumble Tart from January 2006. That recipe is from a diabetic cookbook but I don't think it will fit into my new diet with 35 carbs a slice.

Question of the Day: Anyone in your family with diabetes? Anyone who had gestational diabetes?

8 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

My father started with Type II in his fifties. My sister had GD. I did not, but I am Type II now. However with medication and some lifestyle changes it is hovering around normal, so that is a good thing.

My problem was my diet was already okay (except a little too much food and not enough exercise). Try to convince a dietitian that you don't eat crap LOL.

((hugs))

Sara said...

Yay for new cookbooks, but boo for your diagnosis. Hope you find lots of good recipes to share with us, I'm sure we could all do with more healthy meals.

ThursdayNext said...

You are going to be just fine, my dear Paula, as is your sweet baby. My father is a diabetic, and my cousin's little girl as juvenile diabetes. I donate money each year. There are so many great cookbooks out their and great websites that assist diabetics. Hugs to you tonight...

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

Anonymous said...

My DH is Type 2. He started with medication, then the injections and the pen, now the pump. It's a full time job to keep up with all you need to do - I don't know how he does it, but he manages it well.

Jan

Randi said...

I'm diabetic as is my sister( she had GD as well). Its really not that bad, there are so many products that cater to diabetics. My BS is really under control so I indulge here and there and dont give it too much though( until I dont eat enough and then have a low bs, thats not fun)

Anonymous said...

Both my mother and grandmother had Type II so I have a feeling no matter what I do I'm destined for it too. I'm sure you will come up with lots of new recipes that fit in with taking care of your body and I'm looking foward to them!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I have diabetes and I have had two beautiful, healthy children. One is 3 years and one is 3 months. It's not as bad as it seems. You just have to be a little more careful. Honestly, we should all probably be a little more careful about what we eat anyway! Good Luck!!