Friday, March 28, 2008

Very satisfying
--Enchiladas



Enchiladas
Best Recipes From The Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars Copyright 1979, 1981, 1982

1 lb. ground beef
1 16-ounce can tomatoes
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
½ cup water
½ cup chopped onion
1 Tbs. chili powder I also added some homemade taco seasoning
1¼ tsps. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 8-ounce package tortillas
Oil
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese I used 50% Light cheddar

Brown meat; drain. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, onion and seasonings; simmer 10 minutes. Fry tortillas in hot oil until softened; drain. (I softened them in a pan sprayed with spray oil.) Place rounded tablespoonful of meat sauce and cheese on each tortilla; roll up tightly. Place seam side down in 11 ¾ x 7 ½-inch baking dish; top with remaining sauce and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil; bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
________________________

I don't meet with the dietician until this morning so I was still on my own for dinner. They suggested an appointment next week??? I couldn't wait that long. I want to know what I can eat now. Well, I can look that up myself but I want my glucometer training so I know just how bad it is.

I would usually make rice with enchiladas but we just had them with salad and it was plenty. I only ate two enchiladas but I could have eaten more. They really hit the spot. Of course, I was starving since I wasn't sure what I could eat all day. The meat mixture was sort of bland so I added some taco seasoning. You could jazz it up however you like. I liked the thicker sauce. I don't think these were very authentic but oh well, they were good. I just wish corn tortillas could be be rolled right up. It would be so much easier if you didn't have to heat them up first but I've tried that - it doesn't work!

Oh well, I'm off to the dietician!

Blast From The Past: Ham and Egg Enchiladas from October 2005. Those were a favorite before my son started eating dinner with us. We haven't done an egg challenge for him yet. He doesn't have any problem with things cooked with egg but I still don't feed him anything really egg-y.

Question of the Day: What type of enchilada filling do you prefer?

4 comments:

Wanda said...

I guess my favorite is cheese enchaladas with meat topping. So they are filled with cheddar cheese and a little onion, then topped with chili. Got to be Tex-Mex authentic. Tomato products shalt not cohabit with enchaladas.

Jennifer said...

I like cheese in my enchiladas. This past week, I made chicken and cheese enchiladas with verde sauce. It sounds fancy but I just used the old el paso sauce verde sauce, mixed a little with some cooked chicken, poured the rest on top, and topped with cheese.

I was raised on Mexican food (Grandma and Grandpa are from Mexico) so here's a little tip--you don't really need to warm the tortillas in oil to get them soft. Sprinkle a little water on them, wrap them in a bread towel, and warm them in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute. Still good, less mess, and fewer calories.

Anonymous said...

Ground beef or cheese. I'm with Wanda on the "Commandments of the Enchilada"...birds of a feather, you know.

Jan

ThursdayNext said...

cheese and chicken.
all will be ok, paula. dont fret...eat what your intuition tells you to right now.