Monday, March 10, 2008

Oops! I did it again
--Caramel Frosting



Caramel Frosting
The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion Copyright 2003

8 Tb (1 stick) butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar

Melt the butter in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the salt and brown sugar and heat the mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 2minutes, until the sugar is totally dissolved. Stir in the milk and return to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar. Adjust consistency with a little more milk, if necessary.
________________________

Two of my coworkers were having a birthday this week so I made a cake which I planned on blogging about but, well after I made it I realized that I had already blogged about it. It was the Devil's Food Cake from King Arthur which I wasn't thrilled with the first time I made it but I overbaked it. This time it turned out quite nice so I'm glad I gave it another chance.

I was so sick of buttercream frosting that I decided to try this caramel frosting. It wasn't bad, although it was quite sweet and a bit stiff. The crew didn't have any complaints.

Blast From the Past: Creamy Frosting from October 2005. That was my favorite frosting for so long but I got burned out on it. I may have to go back to it next time.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite frosting?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um... the chocolate stuff out of a can... I don't think I've EVER made frosting, come to think of it... my husband likes the whipped cream frosting and NOT the buttercream... I only bring this up because it was an issue lately!!

Wanda said...

Cream cheese frosting is my favorite! When I was a child, my mother and aunt made penuche icing which is similar to your caramel frosting. I loved it! It was my favorite, back then. I hadn't thought of it in years, or for that matter seen it anywhere. Our church often has covered dish dinners, cake walks and cakes served with bbq plate fundraisers, and I don't recall seeing penuche/caramel icing on any of the cakes there. Of course, nearly everyone uses canned frosting, I think.

Anonymous said...

Caramel frosting on angel food cake is my DH's all time favorite frosting and cake. I make it at least once a year.
I find it a little too sweet.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate, vanilla, cream cheese are all good. I don't care very much for caramel. It seems a little too sweet.

Jan

Jennifer said...

My favorite is what Fannie Farmer calls Portsmouth Frosting, and my family calls Birthday Cake Frosting. Basically a buttercream, but creamier. :9

ThursdayNext said...

lemon, lemon, lemon!

Heather said...

I like chocolate ganache. I have only made it once though. I am ok with Wilton buttercream too.

Sara said...

I really really don't like buttercream frosting. My favorite is cream cheese icing.

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe and have made it twice...it is quite sweet, but so good! Maybe the sugar could be done as 3 cups instead?