Monday, March 24, 2008

Not in the mood
--Linguine with Sausage and Arugula



Linguine with Sausage and Arugula
The Spaghetti Sauce Gourmet Copyright 2006

8 ounces loose-pack Italian sausage
12 ounces linguine or spaghetti
6 cups baby arugula
1 cup refrigerated or jarred vodka tomato sauce with cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, optional I omitted this

Scatter chunks of sausage in a large cold skillet set over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons water to the pan. Cook, flipping occasionally with a spatula, until browned about 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Add the arugula to the sausage in the pan. Cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the sauce and keep warm at a low simmer.

Drain the linguine. Add to the skillet and toss to coat with sauce. Garnish with basil, if using.
_____________________

I should have mentioned that I was taking yesterday off. I didn't do any cooking over the weekend and yesterday I had to take the lovely 3-hour glucose test in the morning. Since I couldn't eat all morning, I had a big lunch and by dinnertime my appetite was on the low side.

I enjoyed this but nothing was going to thrill me last night. My husband wanted to know what the 'green stuff' was. To be honest, I enjoyed it despite the arugula - I'm not a big fan of cooked greens myself. I made this recipe because I had vodka sauce left over from the pierogi and I had sausage in the freezer.

I just don't feel like cooking this week. When you start the week by not getting enough sleep and then getting a massive dose of sugar, it's hard to pick yourself back up.

Blast From The Past: Apple Oat Bran Muffins from February 2006. That was a pre-blog favorite muffin that I may make again soon.

Question of the Day: Do you like cooked greens?

4 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

I do, but not on their own. Stir fried and eaten with rice, in egg dishes with cheese, that sort of thing.

ThursdayNext said...

I love cooked greens. Take the week off, Paula, you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I like most any variety of cooked greens, alone or in a dish. It's a little bothersome to cook them, though (the preparation). The recipe you have today looks and sounds sooo good!

Jan

Anonymous said...

I love cooked greens. I eat a lot at Chinese restaurants. Greens are usually cooked in Chinese cuisine. Think gai lan (Chinese brocolli) with oyster sauce. One of my favorites is baby bok choy stir-fried with mushrooms and lots of garlic. Italian cuisine does a mean green as well. Try garlic and chile flakes with lacinato kale or brocolli rabe (my latest greens discovery from last year). Then there's saag, a curried purée of leafy greens. I'm getting excited thinking about greens, especially now that spring is finally here. Pea shoots!